Engine died turning corner

lab-rat

Hi All,
I nearly had a heart attack today. I was turning a corner (in second gear) and my car lost power, I had no control over the steering. Thank God there was no on-coming traffic as I ended up on the wrong side of the road. I do not think it had anything to do with my driving. The car had stalled the day or two before but it happened at a set of lights so I did not think too much about it.
I have a 98 Mazda 121, does anyone have any idea what it could be? I am a little nervous driving it now and I will book it in to be serviced. I may be dreaming but I have a feeling the steering is now a little funny. Is there any web site that would tell me if there was a manufacturing fault with 98 mazda 121's.
Thanks alot

is your car a 1.3 if so the power steering pressure swithes go ,and cause the car to stall on a lock or full lock,these are cheap and easy to fit,the only other thing would be the idle air control valve also effected on by turning on the 1,3 hope the is of use both items are reasonably cheap and can be checked very easily

ford jedi said:
is your car a 1.3 if so the power steering pressure swithes go ,and cause the car to stall on a lock or full lock,these are cheap and easy to fit,the only other thing would be the idle air control valve also effected on by turning on the 1,3 hope the is of use both items are reasonably cheap and can be checked very easily
Yeh it is a 1.3. Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the steering as I read somewhere that the power steering fluid may be leaking/low.
Does anyone know of a decent garage in Lucan that could service a mazda car?

MAZDA INFO

What's Good

3 year [broken link removed], otherwise see Fiesta. 1.3 pushrod, 1.8 diesel or 1.25 16v Zetec S engine. Mazda had lowest average cost and Ford third lowest average cost in warranty claims for [broken link removed] up to 10 years old in 2002 Warranty Direct index. Mazda generally 4th lowest average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 47.61 v/s lowest 31.93) Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

What's Bad

Really a Fiesta, built at Dagenham. More popular in Holland than in the UK due to Mazda's excellent advertising there. Most seem to have had the old 1.3 pushrod engine.

What to Watch Out For

See Fiesta Recalls

1996 (1996 model year): Check for faulty piston seal in hydraulic clutch master cylinder. Check for contamination of brake fluid and incorrect front brake hose routing. 1997 (5-door models built Dec '95-May '96): may have faulty rear door latches. 1998 (Dec '95-Jun '96 Build): possibility of brake failure due to front brake pipe chafing on bracket. Modified pipe and bracket to be fitted to both front brakes.

FIESTA INFO

What's Good

Same size as before with new front. Zippy 74bhp 1.25 and 89bhp 1.4 Zetec 'S' engines. Nice power steering. Vastly improved chassis offering excellent ride, handling and roadholding. Good fun to drive. Came out well in NCAP [broken link removed]. Favourable insurance ratings due to reduced damageability and improved repairability. BMW, Toyota and [broken link removed] jointly suffered the fewest breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001. Ford had 7th lowest average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 65.51 v/s lowest 31.93) Rated average for problems and faults and fewest breakdowns in 2003 Which survey. Ford 4th top top of Reliability Index for 2004 combining very low average cost of repair of £207.58 with average 32.16 failures per 100 Warranty Direct policies. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

[broken link removed]

What's Bad

1.3 'Endura' pushrod engines starting to show their age. Cabin lower and not as roomy as Punto, Ibiza, Polo. Water ingress via ventilation system can sjhort out ECU. Starting to get reports of piston ring failures on 1.4 Zetec 'S' engines. The oil burned as a result may also wreck the catalytic converter. On Endura 1.3 pushrod engines Spark plugs may either have corroded into the head or been over tightened (taper fit) which means head removal to drill them out. Report with photographic evidence of cam follower wear on 1.3 pushrod engine. The pins which hold the foot pedals in place may fall out, leaving the driver unable to brake or declutch. Tend to get through front discs and pads very rapidly. Either replace front pads at 18,000 - 20,000 miles or expect to have to replace discs every 25,000 miles. May simply need calliper pins cleaning and lubricating. Reports of alloy wheels of Ghia model cracking at 6 years old in 2002. Can be problems with doorlocks. Zetec S 1.25, 1.4 and 1.6 engines may have been filled with wrong oil (MUST be 5W-30). Wrong oil leads to sticking valves, blocked arteries and oil starvation problems. Lack of use can lead to failure of coil springs.

What to Watch Out For

Have been a number of recalls. Double recall over front brake pipes because original recall failed to remedy the problem. Make sure these have been carried out. A wet carpet may mean failure of the bulkhead sealant (fairly easily re-sealed). Check for high oil consumption, smokey exhaust on 1.4/1.6 Zetec S from wrong oil having been used. Check front discs if you can and budget for replacement. If 1300 pushrod engine is tappety it probably needs a new set of cam followers, which isn't a quick and easy job on a pushrod engine. Since 95MY handling improvements, front suspension bushes have been prone to wear so if the front suspension clonks this is probably why. Tips from Madff in The Backroom: Do several reverses/forwards on full lock both ways to check driveshafts/bushes. Drive over rough roads to see suspension has no clonks. Accelerate hard in 2 and 3 to 6,000 rpm.(when engine warm) Engine should be very smooth and responsive. ANY misfire - walk away as could be plugs/ leads or valves etc. Rust round rear wheel arch/petrol cap (bad!) and especially passenger side 'B' post in front of rear door. Rust behind rubber seals on front door apertures: on top and going down windscreen side. Rust in door seams. Peer underneath with a torch - many can be very rusty due to neglect/salt. Spare wheel tray can and does rust.. examine carefully plus spare wheel. Check for exhaust rust and recent MOT to see emissions ok (read report). A new cat is £££.
Leaking suspension struts and clonks on rough roads due to rubber bushes wearing. Check antifreeze is clean and red - no oil. Check radiator for leaks or oozing antifreeze. Engine must be cold when testing it. If it is warm, leave for at least 30 minutes for all oil to drain away and then start it up with bonnet open. Any rattles means wear- walk away. If oil is very black/thick and no service history - likely bearing/cam damage.. = new engine. If serviced by non-Ford garage person, try to find what type of oil used. Ford use 5/30 - a 20/50 is NOT suitable and will lead to cam wear at start/sticking valves or both. DO NOT buy if wrong oils have been used. Some clutch noise (release bearing) at idle is common. Should go when in gear. Any noises when on move from gearbox? Run away. Water leaks in passenger side due to faulty door seals or from incorrectly sealed bulkhead (bulkhead can be re-sealed). Check rear wiper and heated rear window work as cables can snag. Watch for kerbed wheels or alloys. Check for failed rear damper top mounts as they seem to fail regularly after 6 - 7 years.

Recalls

1995 (VIN SE): Brake lights may not work. 1995 diesel (VIN SY, SS, ST): Brake vacuum pump may not create enough vacuum for servo. 1996 ([broken link removed] and Courier van, 1996 model year; 47,500 cars): Check for faulty piston seal in hydraulic clutch master cylinder. Check for contamination of brake fluid and incorrect front brake hose routing. 1997 (5-door models built Oct '95-May '96): may have faulty rear door latches. Also TSB [broken link removed] concerning complaints about noisy alternator drive-belt of diesel model causing battery discharge. Modified parts to be fitted (was not always done). 1998 (July 1995-June 1996 build-67,000 cars): Possibility of brake failure due to front brake pipe chafing on bracket. Modified pipe and bracket to be fitted to both front brakes. (Repeat brake pipe recall announced on radio 12/2/98). Fiestas with ABS (Mar '98-Sep '98): Brake master cylinder may fail. Fiestas with passenger airbags built Aug '96-Feb '97: passenger airbag may go off while car is stationary. 12-8-2002: Airbag warning light may fail to indicate fault with impact triggers. Airbag ECU to be replaced. 11,360 Fiestas affected.

Back