Engagement rings and diamonds in Antwerp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all of the good tips - I have emailed Orsinis, Phillipe and diamant.ie to see what kind of ideas and prices they can offer - will also send mails to the other members listed on the Adja website.

What I had previously been planning to do was to buy a diamond from bluenile (either www.bluenile.com or www.bluenile.co.uk). They have a great interface which enables you to quickly find out what kind of prices you can expect to pay for a diamond of the given 4Cs. The only problem is that if you buy from the UK you pay 17.5% VAT and if you buy from Ireland you pay 21% VAT. Both of these can be avoided if you can get it delivered to someone you know in the states. Apart from that, the prices are pretty much identical between the .com and co.uk sites. Once I had a diamond from them, I was going to try and find a good custom jewelry maker in Ireland to set it in platinum for me.

This is still going to be plan A until the Antwerp connection comes through! Just thought I'd mention it as an option and as a very good way to get transparent information about diamond prices. By comparison, I got quoted €5900 for a .7 E SI1 diamond from Applebys and from Bluenile it cost €2800 including a platinum setting, VAT and delivery. It put me off the idea of using a high street retailer somewhat...although it was hard with herself making moon eyes at me over the ring...

Never heard of the Antwerp option before.....sounds very tempting......and i'm the woman....i'm sure the boyfriend will be even more impressed.......i don't agree with overspending on jewellery.....i think 2k max is plenty to be spending....is this a daft idea?.....or is it a realistic figure if we went for the Antwerp option?

Hi

My Partner and I are travelling to Antwerp in 2 weeks to buy my engagement ring, We will arr on a Wed morning around 0930 in Brussels then will have to travel to Antwerp, Can anyone suggest what the best mode of transport would be for us , Taxi / Train or bus, Antwerp Central Station is approx 5 mins walk from our Hotel and the metro station De Keyzerlei is only 2 mins walk away ! We leave again from Brussels on the Fri evening at 9 PM !

From looking on this thread and reading peoples reviews, we are edging towards Phillipe Harold, does he have rings I can try on and then he will size for me or does he just make the ring on order ?

Will 2 days be enough time for us to be able to come home with the ring ?

If anyone can recommend any other jewellers or tips we would greatly appreciate them.

Hi Excited,

Harold Phillippe designed my engagement ring in 1 day. Needless to say it's fabulous!

There are loads of unlegit jewellers in the Antwerp Diamond area, so I emailed the shops that are members of the Antwerp Diamond Jewellers Association (www.adja.be) in advance for information. They responded back with quotes and based on this information I arranged two appointments - one at www.diamondland.be and one at Harold Philippe [[email protected]].

We arrived on the train from Brussels to Antwerp - 12e for 2 single tickets on Monday - the journey is an hour. The two jewellers had the diamonds in envelopes waiting for me, based on my specifications, ready for scrutiny!! HP was by far the best of the two. He shows you the diamonds - there are no rings - just diamonds :) Once you choose your diamond(s) he pulls out a drawer of white, yellow gold and platinum bands from which to choose from. The yellow and white gold bands are free. It's such a nice decision to have to make. HP also posts you a copy of the certificate - this can take a couple of weeks.

If you get into Harold Philippe's shop, decide on your diamond and band & put in the order - all before lunch they might have your ring ready for collection that evening. I wud be 99.9% sure they'd have it for you, the turnaround time is excellent.

I have subsquently had my ring valued at the Powerscourt Centre, Dublin for insurance purposes and I was delighted to learn of it's Irish value.

Also cash talks big time in Antwerp. So bring cash (NB). And don't be afraid to haggle. You'd be surprised at the savings.

Best of luck - PM me if you want more information.

I have to agree with everyone who recommended Antwerp. I went alone and along with a few hiccups (which have become great stories to tell) it was a great experience. I can honestly say now that I understand why the ring is important. The visits to KATZ Jewellers made it a great experience.

Anyway best of luck, and oh one last thing.

She said yes :D

Dubai is same as Antwerp; paid €4000 in Dubai (tax free) and got it value here for €9000. The certificate is registered to Antwerp so obviously its the place to go. I got a free holiday going to Dubai though with the savings I made.

Hi decembersal, Thank you for your tip. I email Phillipe Harold and he has quoted me for the diamond and then mentioned the ring will be EUR 650 ? Can I ask you was it long ago that you made your purchase since you mentioned that the band is free of charge ?

This probably sounds like a strange question but how can I be sure he is going to design what I have in mind ? Does he give a draft of what he's going to make so Im sure we are both on the same wave length ?

Any other tips you can give us will be much appreciated !!

I recently purchased through Phillipe and was charged 600 for the band. It was a peculiar hand made design though.

Hi Dieter1

Thank you for the info !

Can I ask you were you happy with your purchase ?

Im just starting to stress that I wont explain what i want in enough details and he wont make the same thing I have in my mind then i'll be disappointed !

Height is very important to me and also I want the ring to fill my hand ! dont want it looking miserable !!

Do you think you got better value than here going to Antwerp ?

Decembersal,

Can I ask you did you get the train from Brussels airport or Brussels City ?

Do you happen to remember what number train it was ?

Decembersal,

Can I ask you did you get the train from Brussels airport or Brussels City ?

Do you happen to remember what number train it was ?
Excited,
Just get the bus (Antwerp Express). It leaves every hour from the airport (level 0), journey time of around 40mins and costs €8. It will drop you practically outside central station.

i would second golfballs suggestion... the bus is definately the easiest way to get to antwerp.. .takes about 40 mins and is direct, you will have to change train... bus station around the corner from the hotel.. we were there a few months ago to buy a ring.

i wanted a solitaire, and had done research on other site where you can build a ring... its also better if you do your research in jewellers here, so you know what suits your hand....

i bought from harold Philippe Harold (round corner from hotel)
i wanted a solitaire, (again like yourself, nothing too small... but not too big either, as that would look vulgar!!) with a fairly high mount, set in gold, with 6 claws, i asked to see different samples he had and he emailed picture to me... i got my band free, however i spent 7600 on the diamond... so maybe it depends on the value of the diamond???? or if you want a specially made ring...
i think i got excellent value, as i had priced rings here before i went... i havent got it valued yet, although he sent me a valuation for 9500, so its definately worth more here... PH also emailed me images of diamonds... i choese a 1.19c, G, VS1, ideal cut round brilliant diamond... and does she sparkle...
would definately recommend Phillip Harold and 2 days is plenty

best of luck!

i would second golfballs suggestion... the bus is definately the easiest way to get to antwerp.. .takes about 40 mins and is direct, you will have to change train... bus station around the corner from the hotel.. we were there a few months ago to buy a ring.

i wanted a solitaire, and had done research on other site where you can build a ring... its also better if you do your research in jewellers here, so you know what suits your hand....

i bought from harold Philippe Harold (round corner from hotel)
i wanted a solitaire, (again like yourself, nothing too small... but not too big either, as that would look vulgar!!) with a fairly high mount, set in gold, with 6 claws, i asked to see different samples he had and he emailed picture to me... i got my band free, however i spent 7600 on the diamond... so maybe it depends on the value of the diamond???? or if you want a specially made ring...
i think i got excellent value, as i had priced rings here before i went... i havent got it valued yet, although he sent me a valuation for 9500, so its definately worth more here... PH also emailed me images of diamonds... i choese a 1.19c, G, VS1, ideal cut round brilliant diamond... and does she sparkle...
would definately recommend Phillip Harold and 2 days is plenty

best of luck!

What exactly does the G VS1 bit mean?
I presume the same type of ring would cost you a lot more here?
Apologies for my ignorance!

G = Colour
VS1 = clairity grade

you should read up on the 4 C's of diamonds, Carat Colour, Clarity, Cut
then you know what kind of value you are getting for your money.
i have to be honest i knew nothing about this, until i was told about it, so i researched it before i went, so that i was up to speed and the more i learnt, the more i wanted a better quality diamond... and value for money...
i visited the following link and to give me ideas and also, there is an irish price guide for rings bought in dublin, so you know the value you are getting.... www.diamond-ireland.com...

G = Colour
VS1 = clairity grade

you should read up on the 4 C's of diamonds, Carat Colour, Clarity, Cut
then you know what kind of value you are getting for your money.
i have to be honest i knew nothing about this, until i was told about it, so i researched it before i went, so that i was up to speed and the more i learnt, the more i wanted a better quality diamond... and value for money...
i visited the following link and to give me ideas and also, there is an irish price guide for rings bought in dublin, so you know the value you are getting.... www.diamond-ireland.com...

Great link...thanks!
I'm learning about this as I go...did you contact www.diamant.ie at all? Some of their rings look lovely but I don't want to have to go in for a sit down session and feel beholden to them...would prefer to just price them.

i thought it was a good link too... was going to buy there origianlly but then heard about antwerp

i got 2 quotes from them... both cheaper than you buy in ireland... however, the site has changed in the last month or two... so not sure if they will send you a quote now or now... i spoke to a diamond expert on the phone.... had made an appointment to visit, but cancelled, as i had changed my mind and was heading to antwerp...
i cant personally recommend how good they are... maybe you could ask the question here??? - but their website was very beneficial to me...

good luck with your ring hunt!

i thought it was a good link too... was going to buy there origianlly but then heard about antwerp

i got 2 quotes from them... both cheaper than you buy in ireland... however, the site has changed in the last month or two... so not sure if they will send you a quote now or now... i spoke to a diamond expert on the phone.... had made an appointment to visit, but cancelled, as i had changed my mind and was heading to antwerp...
i cant personally recommend how good they are... maybe you could ask the question here??? - but their website was very beneficial to me...

good luck with your ring hunt!

Thanks!
One question...that chart illustrating the prices of engagement rings in Ireland would suggest your one is about 8 grand. Harold did it for €7600. Fair enough that's a saving but I thought it'd be more for the effort or am I missing something?
Thanks for the advice

Forget that question...evidently I'm an idiot who can't read charts and thinks 1.00 = 1.19.
Cheers

no... savings are alot more... i did my research in dublin..
diamond.ie list are showing a 1c at 8k and a 1.5c at 16k - mine was 1.19
cut is very important... my cut was excellent, but also "ideal cut" so you see the hearts and diamods effect.. certification is important...every point increase in size, adds a lot more value to your ring.. there is a good size diference between a 1c and a 1.19c ring...
i was quoted 8k for a 1c diamond, G vs2 in one shop in dublin
12k for a 1c vs2 g in another
another shop was 6k for a 1.16c J, SI1
diamond.ie quoted as follows
Round 1.17c F VS2 - 9600eu (retail value 13k)
Round 0.77 F SI1 6905eu (retail value 10k)
Round 1.17 I VS2 6287eu (retail 8600)

I definately got good value...

shop around for yourself in dublin
ask to view certified rings only, bring the diamond.ie printout with you in your bag, so that you can reference it for yourself....

once you find the carat size that suits, and the cut etc.... then ask philippe harold to quote you for the ring you found here that suits you... and see the savings for yourself....

above worked for me.... just a suggestion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back