enforced holidays:

T

traceyw

Hi

Can companies do this -

Dear Colleague,

All of our sites and offices will be closed on Good Friday, 21st March 2008.

Good Friday is not a bank holiday and will be counted as one days annual leave.

Can employees be forced to use up one of their days holidays because their employer decides to close up shop?

we get good friday and dec 27th as company days additional onto our annual leave. nice little extra. having said that we have to keep 2 days annual leave for christmas

Yup. We have to keep 3 days of our annual leave (christmas eve, new years eve and good friday).

I worked in the offices of a construction company in the UK and 10 days of our holidays were enforced like this to allow 2 weeks off at christmas and a week off over easter. It was a bit of a pain really.

your employer says when you take your holidays (ie he can tell you to take two weeks in January if he wants). the only restriction on the employer on when you can take holidays is that he must allow you to take a two week block.

Any employment where there is options on when to take holidays is at the discretion of the employer.

We work a 39 hour week ( 8 hours mon-Thur 7 hours on Friday )and have been told to take a forced days holiday on a Friday where we normally work 7 hours as opposed to 8. Am I entitled to work 7 hours on the Thursday? A days holiday is 8 hours. The company is in effect getting one extra hour from us.

:( Niallers - there's many here, myself included, who would be glad to be in a job. Worrying about a trifling hour seems ... ... *i won't continue*

We work a 39 hour week ( 8 hours mon-Thur 7 hours on Friday )and have been told to take a forced days holiday on a Friday where we normally work 7 hours as opposed to 8. Am I entitled to work 7 hours on the Thursday? A days holiday is 8 hours. The company is in effect getting one extra hour from us.

You should only loose 7 hours of your holiday allocation. Most companies with short Friday (my own included) should give holidays in hours instead of days.

:( Niallers - there's many here, myself included, who would be glad to be in a job. Worrying about a trifling hour seems ... ... *i won't continue*

Go jump in a lake.

I used to work in a compay who worked half day on friday (those were the good times!!) and if we ever took a friday off it was a full days holidays.

Niallers, If you take a friday off yourself what what is taken off you annual leave? If it is a day full day taken then i'd expect it to be the same now

Back