Enda Kenny

• Thread starter anthonybernard
  • Start date
Re: Told you so

Anyway, mark my words, this is all academic as there is simply no way the Doctor will cut a deal with the IRA.

Bravo to a man of principle!

'...... How long will it take before some of the Keanes/Ryans/others declare their crimes "political" and look for early release as part of a committment to reform themselves? '

Not that long..... the Murders of Gda. Jerry McGabe were criminal thugs with republican leanings..like most thugs.

assassination?

If you are right then it was not common criminality, it was a "military operation" so they would qualify under the terms of the GoodFriday agreement. As I have said above I don't think any of them should get out but one out, all out.

Re: assassination?

I say let's keep debating the rights and wrongs of releasing them for another 4 to 5 years, when they're due for release anyway. Then let them out.

The republican movements has developed a sudden fear of humiliation. Apparently being responsible for mass murder isn't humiliating at all, Shooting the mother small children and burying her body on a beach doesn't even raise a blush. But a photograph of Guns??? What do they think, we're all going to be shocked to discover that they had guns and bombs, and we'll think less of them?????

I think it only fair to the rest of us that we be spared the humiliation of watching these guys being welcomed home as heroes.

My opinion on this issue has changed in the last week or so. I don't believe they should be released, and if I had my way many that have would be re-arrested.

I'd also put Adams and Paisley in a room with a weeks supply of Pizza and tell them to hammer out a deal. England and Ireland have done enough for them, if they can't agree they can start raising their own taxes and paying for their own hospitals, schools, and roads.

-Rd

Re: assassination?

some believe it was an assassination, not a botched robbery
If you are right then it was not common criminality, it was a "military operation" so they would qualify under the terms of the GoodFriday agreement.

The "assassination" theory is a nice, neat one for the Provos as it hints that in some way there was a motive for the murder of Jerry McCabe and carries an added implication that the late McCabe was somehow indirectly responsible for his own death. For that latter reason it is particularly reprehensible given that McCabe is dead and not in a position to defend himself against unsubstantiated slurs.

If the McCabe killing was an assassination (although indymedia is hardly a reputable or reliable source for anything, let alone conspiracy theories), then the IRA should own up to this. However this wouldn't necessarily qualify these men for the GFA early release. After all the IRA stated within 24 hours of the killing that the "action" was unauthorised by them, or in other words it was a freelance job, regardless of motivation.

However an IRA statement that there was an assassination would open up a whole new can of worms in this case, and in itself would imho constitute new evidence that might be sufficent grounds for fresh capital murder charges against these men. Any evidence of premediation would surely support such a charge and ultimately a conviction which would attract at the very least jail terms of 40 years.

I doubt if the Provos are stupid enough to go down that road...

I could be wrong, but didn`t the war in the North start when the nationalists wanted civil rights (I nearly said civil riots) and the Brits and Unionists (Northern Unionists...not Southern Unionists) tried to beat them back into their ghettos.Didn`t the IRA rise to protect their people while we had debates in the Dail.
From my armchair, I feel sad about ALL the lives lost.It must be a lot worse for those in the midst of the conflict who lost people close to them, Unionists no less than Nationalists.
Respect is needed on both sides to bring about peace.

Back