Enda Kenny

• Thread starter anthonybernard
  • Start date
A

anthonybernard

I just heard Enda is against letting Gerry McCabe killers out of Jail to get a agreement in the North.
Wake up Enda & smell reality !

Personally I don't think any of the IRA murderers should get out but if they are getting out fro murdering a police officer in the north then the same must apply in the south...
Mr Kenny is being a populist. It works for Bertie so why not for him?

they should have been stuck up against a wall in the first place. it would have saved everybody a load of money and hassle

they should have been stuck up against a wall in the first place. it would have saved everybody a load of money and hassle
Who?

If I remember correctly -and as always I'm open to correction-at the time of the murder the IRA denied that these folks were members . So, following that logic it was not a political crime and thus the GFA doesn't apply. Also can anyone recall was the ceasefire in place at the time if so, how in the name of bejasus could they qualify for release?.

Also can anyone recall was the ceasefire in place at the time

As far as I can ascertain Garda McCabe was murdered in June 1996, between the first ceasefire (declared in September 1994 and broken by the Canary Wharf bombing in February 1996) and the second ceasefire (declared July 1997). See Wikipedia and The Guardian.

I think letting these guys out is wrong; the ceasefire wasn't in place and the IRA disowned these guys at the time. I'm all for a peaceful settlement and all that, but at what cost? These guys murdered gardai and are now going to get away with it. How many other 'IRA members' will have to freed to get these guys to go the peaceful route. I know its a small price to pay, but is it the wrong price to pay after all it is undermining the law, the gardai and the people of this island.

Mabye once the 'war' is over we should charge some of these people with war crimes

the ceasefire wasn't in place and the IRA disowned these guys at the time.

It's the fact that there was no ceasefire that gives them a case for release, they can "claim" that it was all part of the struggle, the didn't creak a ceasefire.

I thought they were INLA so the IRA could well have disowned them. But I could be wrong.

I think like most people I'd have no problem with these guys doing their full sentances they were clearly involved in crime rather than "political struggle".

Unfortunately it's hypocritical of us to expect the families of RUC officers to watch killers go free, while garda killers are treated differently. We in the South have had it very easy overall maybe we need to take a bit of uncomfortable reality.

All that said, none of us are really going to suffer from seeing these guys go free. It will stick in our throats a bit, but that's it. The people who will really suffer are the McCabe family.

I think my own solution to this would be to release them, and then for the rest of their lives pursue them for every single time they break a law. It's just a matter of time before they do somethine else, and we should be there waiting, with a prison cell ready for them.

Another solution would be to get together all the victims of punishment beatings since the ceasefires began, give them all baseball bats, and give each of them 10 minutes with these guys before they are released.

-Rd

I thought they were INLA so the IRA could well have disowned them. But I could be wrong.

No - they're definitely IRA.

On May 22 1998, more than two million people across Ireland voted for the Good Friday Agreement.
As democrats are we not obliged to accept the terms of this agreement even if we don't like them? As I see it these guys have to be released if they were acting on IRA leadership instruction on the day of Gerry McCabe's cold blooded killing. If they were acting on their on behalf then it's an entirely different matter but I don't see how you can prove that one way or the other.

I would add that I don't support violence of any kind and would never vote Sinn Fein on the basis of their economic policies which I believe would be disastrous for the economy.

very good post Daltonr, you put it much better than I did and I like your idea about jumping on them every time they step out of line.
The idea that many of the murders in the north were anything but common criminality is nonsense so since the distinction didn't apply when the jails were emptied up there it shouldn't apply sown here now.

If they were acting on their on behalf then it's an entirely different matter but I don't see how you can prove that one way or the other.

What sort of world have we created, where murderers who are also terrorists get out of jail free, while murderers who have nothing to do with terrorism must serve their time.

Given that it's an unfortunate reality that these guys will probably get out, why oh why did Bertie have to turn the knife by announcing it matter of factly in the Dail, without even having the courtesy to forewarn the family?

And why do we tolerate John O'Donoghue's political expediency of a letter to the family stating that these guy's weren't within the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, to deflect any criticism or controversy from the government?

Political expediency is a fact of life, but screwing with the emotions of a Widow to avoid a bit of discomfort for your government is unforgivable.

-Rd

I think my own solution to this would be to release them, and then for the rest of their lives pursue them for every single time they break a law. It's just a matter of time before they do somethine else, and we should be there waiting, with a prison cell ready for them.
I like it.
Another solution would be to get together all the victims of punishment beatings since the ceasefires began, give them all baseball bats, and give each of them 10 minutes with these guys before they are released.
I like it much more.

Last Monday's Prime Time Investigates programme on the Limerick crime gangs told us how some of the worst gangsters in that city had forged extensive links with the Continuity IRA and other terrorist groups. How long will it take before some of the Keanes/Ryans/others declare their crimes "political" and look for early release as part of a committment to reform themselves?

I agree with Tommy.

Murder = Bad (Danger to society)
Murder + Terrorism = Not so Bad (No danger to society)

Great lesson for the kids to learn isn't it?

The generosity that society shown by releasing as many prisoners as it has, has definitely not been reciprocated by SF in particular.

That they have the gall to ask for even more releases while they still have guns, haven't engaged on policing, and won't call on people to come forward with information on crimes.
It's sickening.

And that is what makes the prospect of their release so hard for me personally to swallow. A bit of humility, gratitude and genuine remorse from SF would go a long way.

Rather than treating the peace process as a "Get Out Of Jail Card" and parading the released as heroes.

-Rd

You sleep with a moderator.

I have to sleep with one every night and it hasn't done me any good! :(

Doing it wrong.

You must be doing something wrong.

Carry On Asking About Money.
Oooh Matron.

-Rd

The sickening thing is that Bertie says we have no choice. What sort of negotiator is he? Doesn't he realise the positions of the negotiating parties as set out below:

SFIRA - the most anxious to get devolved government, for the power, the mercs, the percs but also as a stepping stone to a UI.

The Brits - next most anxioius as this is the best chance of getting shot of NI for good.

The Orangies - whilst they would like devolved power they are nervous for the same reasons that SFIRA are so keen.

Us down here - other than as facilitators we have nothing at stake in this peace process. How can Bertie possibly say that we have no choice but to cave in?

Anyway, mark my words, this is all academic as there is simply no way the Doctor will cut a deal with the IRA. I'm not a fan of Big Ian but I am quite confident that he will never compromise his principles - Bertie could learn from him.

Back