Enda and the Army

cremeegg

Enda has been in Spain boasting that Ireland nearly called in the army to protect the ATMs in the depths of the Euro crises in 2012.

I have always believed that our true political identity is formed not by what we think or believe in, but by what we fear the most.

Some people fear chaos and disorder more than anything, their political opinions are informed by a desire to avoid social breakdown, they want to know that somebody is in charge.

Other people fear the opposite, that an over mighty government will oppress them.

Mostly in Ireland (though not presumably in Syria) these fears are in the background.

My deepest fear is of government oppression, (pension levy anyone?) and Enda sounding off about bringing out the army worries me. Garret was genuinely a social democrat, but the dark heart of FG hasn't really gone away. Realistically I know we are a long way from Blueshirt gangs on the street, but maybe I won't vote FG after all.

Enda sounded like a 10 year old telling tales in the school yard trying to impress the cool kids. I don't think there was much substance to his claims.

My deepest fear is of government oppression, (pension levy anyone?) and Enda sounding off about bringing out the army worries me. Garret was genuinely a social democrat, but the dark heart of FG hasn't really gone away. Realistically I know we are a long way from Blueshirt gangs on the street, but maybe I won't vote FG after all.

A bit OTT to say the least.
The army was mentioned in some meeting as possibly being needed outside major banks if we got booted from the Euro or went with a new currency. Enda had that nugget lodged somewhere in his head and it's obviously grown legs up to the time of his recent speech.

He cannot be trusted to make an unscripted speech without telling a daft story. Thats all there's to it

He cannot be trusted to make an unscripted speech without telling a daft story. Thats all there's to it

It's the type of daft story that he chooses (consciously or not) to tell that worries me.

In his darkest heart Charlie lusted after money, yachts, country mansions, Charvet shirts, women, and private islands. All of which is probably less harmful that the alternative.

I fear that there is an element in FG, that dreams of soldiers on the streets, in their nice shiny boots, keeping order all over the place.

Awful gaff to make - Bit of a Walter Mitty moment.

No wonder he avoids a lot of live TV.

Enda has been in Spain boasting that Ireland nearly called in the army to protect the ATMs in the depths of the Euro crises in 2012.

I have always believed that our true political identity is formed not by what we think or believe in, but by what we fear the most.

Some people fear chaos and disorder more than anything, their political opinions are informed by a desire to avoid social breakdown, they want to know that somebody is in charge.

Other people fear the opposite, that an over mighty government will oppress them.

Mostly in Ireland (though not presumably in Syria) these fears are in the background.

I doubt that somehow, the biggest fear for me is complacency and not being prepared for an eventuality most notably recently a terrorist attack. If anything ireland is on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to authoritarian states. We have a very small army and police force hardly the ingredients for authoritarianism.

I doubt that somehow, the biggest fear for me is complacency and not being prepared for an eventuality most notably recently a terrorist attack. If anything ireland is on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to authoritarian states. We have a very small army and police force hardly the ingredients for authoritarianism.
I think we are quite well placed to deal with a terrorist threat. We have extensive experience dealing with terrorist organisations, a small well trained army which us used to working with the police and we have a small Muslim population so keeping track of high risk individuals should be quite easy.

I think we are quite well placed to deal with a terrorist threat. We have extensive experience dealing with terrorist organisations, a small well trained army which us used to working with the police and we have a small Muslim population so keeping track of high risk individuals should be quite easy.
Apparently it takes up to 27 security personnel to follow just 1 suspect on a full 24-7 basis.
I'd suspect that we have zero Gardai or Security personnel who can speak Arabic never mind the dozens of other languages from the Middle East.
The Muslim population in 2011 was 50k...that was nearly double the census of 5 years earlier. I'd suspect it's much closer to 100k by now. So not small as you say.

Anyone that saw the RTE Investigates programme on Monday night about prostitution in Ireland could only worry about the state of policing in Ireland. It was practically a re-run of the same investigation from 2012 with the same 'Heavyweights' from Romania running the show. It appears the Gardai did nothing in the meantime and still don't have a clue about the racket that exists.
Personally, I think when it comes to crime (or probably Terrorism) in Ireland committed by non-Nationals, the security forces are absolutely clueless about it. Unless they are caught red handed shoplifting etc, they have free rein to do whatever they want.

So I for one would be worried about our preparedness for any foreign terrorist threats

Methinks ,
We should worry more about our own Dissident (heroes?) of Ireland.
These deluded people are still travelling on the old disproven Provo path, that terrorism gets results.
Like most cults, our home dissidents believe it is us that are deluded..
They continue to show they will kill any Irishman who gets in their way.

Methinks ,
We should worry more about our own Dissident (heroes?) of Ireland.
These deluded people are still travelling on the old disproven Provo path, that terrorism gets results.
Like most cults, our home dissidents believe it is us that are deluded..
They continue to show they will kill any Irishman who gets in their way.
That's very unfair on them. They are not deluded; they are criminals and drug dealers masquerading as terrorists. It's only the idiots who support them who are deluded.

No doubt they are all criminals and a fair few are into drug dealing , but sadly their hard-core are deluded and very very dangerous people.
The idiots that support them are still suckered in about the (heroes) of violent Republican ism and are still fighting last centuries disputes.
Luckiliy their cry of {you don,t understand} is being replaced by {would you lot grow up and move on}
Joe Soap is no longer afraid to openly challenge these sad people.

Back