Employers expect me to move equipment

Thank god for Stuart & Purple!!If some one drops a pen and I pick it up can I sue if I pull a hammy whilst doing it?!!
What are you talking about?
I've read this whole thread and the most sensible answers have come from Stuart & Purple.

Now, if you really want to make a point about it, hire a mover to move your stuff and bill the company :)

Whats the big deal here.
I presume its a small company.
I would have no problem 'mucking in' and rolling my sleeves up for a move.
Its this 'not part of my job spec' attitude that has half the country out on industrial action every other week.
Be happy that you have a job

d

Missed that Clubman,:)
Money may still be an issue as movers charge a small fortune.
Wonder what 'exactly' means though.
Would still have no problem getting stuck in though:cool:

Ask your manager if he/she's willing to give you hand. I'm sure they won't mind ;)

Last edited:
If its not a small company surely one of the company directors with a company car will let you use their car or is it the h&s aspect of the move you have a problem with?

Whats the big deal here.
I presume its a small company.
I would have no problem 'mucking in' and rolling my sleeves up for a move.
Its this 'not part of my job spec' attitude that has half the country out on industrial action every other week.
Be happy that you have a job

d

I'm inclined to agree...people who are awkward about simple stuff like this tend to suffer career wise-and rightly so.
Don't endanger yourself by lifting things you can't but equally don't be a pedantic by the book union type and you won't go far wrong.

Money may still be an issue as movers charge a small fortune.

Maybe they do, but I'm sure its not as much as some other costs could be - paying sick pay (if they do) or paying wages for a replacement worker if the op injures their back, and is out for, say, 6 months. The term "penny wise and pound foolish" springs to mind.

Talk of mucking in and using common sense are both fine until somebody hurts their back or any other body part. I deal with personal accident claims on a daily basis and you would be suprised what people (including fellow employees) try to sue my employer for. In some cases tens of thousands of euro requested for very minor injurues that require a few hours off work. In cases like this removal coimpanies should always be used as in the long run it will work out cheaper.

The bulk of posts here assume that the whole office is moving. Is this the case, or is it just one person? If a number of people are moving office, I would expect the company to organise the move. If it's just one person, then it may make more sense for them to move their own stuff.

Thanks for the replys guys.
If I actually told you the name of the place that I worked you would be shocked that I have been advised I have to move the equipment myself.

I have sent a mail to management detailing asking some of the questions recommened on here.
The reply should be interesting.

I have sent a mail to management detailing asking some of the questions recommened on here.
Just a small issue but I would be more inclined to put such queries face to face rather than via email. Unless management are not on site or something?

Ask your manager if he/she's willing to give you hand. I'm sure they won't mind ;)
I would presume that the manager is also moving his or her own stuff. Why would it be otherwise?

If its not a small company surely one of the company directors with a company car will let you use their car or is it the h&s aspect of the move you have a problem with?
Why do you assume that the directors have company cars?

I'm inclined to agree...people who are awkward about simple stuff like this tend to suffer career wise-and rightly so.
Don't endanger yourself by lifting things you can't but equally don't be a pedantic by the book union type and you won't go far wrong.
Exactly

That'll do your career good, well done :rolleyes:

The reason that movers cost a lot of money is that they do things professionally . . . they are professional movers.

Do you think the moving company asks the guys to run their own payroll, or cook their own lunches ? No, they leave that to the professionals and trained people.

We recently moved some staff to a building maybe 30 metres along the road - the movers were brought in and moved all files, equipment, etc . . . as per any other office move I have ever been involved in they shipped in loads of crates in the days before the move, people filled the crates at their desk, everything was labeled, the guys moved everything and then people unpacked their crates at their new desks.

To expect non-qualified staff to carry out lifting like this is not sensible. As has been asked above - will the company be sympathetic when someone is out of work for a few weeks having done their back in ? Will they be sympathetic when someone drops their monitor and needs a new one ? Will it have been worth saving the movers money if someone suffers long term back pain as a result ?

Companies need to save money alright, but there are some things that shouldn't be compromised and health & safety is one of them.

z

I had a similar issue some time ago when my employer "moved house"; there were a lot of very substantial desks, fully loaded filing cabinets, drawing cabinets (even a safe!) which required moving. I though it was a bit mean that they wouldn't enlist some professional help and we all just mucked in anyway, but some of the stuff was way too heavy (100 kilos and more) for someone to be moving without proper training or equipment. What really bugged me was that they wanted the stuff moved outside business hours, on our own time and unpaid too! That was the final straw for me, but when I raised I was a lone voice and not one colleague felt strongly enough about it to support me. Of course everything's fine until there's an accident....

We recently had a H and S training day. I was shocked at what can be be legally taken as a legitimate case. Take this one:

An employee recieved a call on an extension on another desk. Not knowing how to transfer the call to his own extension, he carried the phone towards his own desk, tripped over the trailing cable and brought a claim against the employer for his injury. He won his case on the basis that the employer had not provided adequate training in how to use the phone and this contributed to the accident!

they shipped in loads of crates in the days before the move, people filled the crates at their desk, everything was labeled, the guys moved everything and then people unpacked their crates at their new desks.
Did they lift the crates onto their desks or fill them on the ground? If the former, were they given lifting training? If the latter did anyone have a problem/ injury bending over while placing items in the boxes?
No one should be asked to move their desk or an item that they are not happy to lift but I really don’t see the big deal about moving the contents of your desk.
I also don’t see the point of taking a position on this; it’s not that big a deal. As KalEl said, use common sense.
Some of the posts here, particularly those by whistler and gordongekko show a hostile attitude and will help no one.

Hostile attitude? Sorry I thought our opinions were being asked for here. Back pain especially disc injury can accumulate over time.
I just think this flippant attitude toward safety in the workplace goes against everything I've been trained to do in manual handing/ safe pass courses.

Back