Employers being understanding about the weather conditions

Luas Green Line is down as far as Sandyford. "I am just going outside and may be some time."

I live in Hunterswood, the buses haven't been running up there since tuesday and I bandjaxed the windscreen wipers going to work on Monday so couldn't use car. Took annual leave tues, wed and today and was told this morning that car won't be fixed until middle of next week. Even if I could use the bus it would involve two bus journeys and a half hour walk and no guarantee I could get home if even one bus service wasn't working. Have moved down to my parents today and will be back in work on Monday and do some work from home tomorrow, now that I'm back in the land of broadband. So 4 days leave wasted, and I couldn't even enjoy them because I felt guilty about being off work. Ah well.

Pix, well you think he is mean cause he wants you in work......its your who keeps you in a job, makes me laugh, a bit of snow and a bit of ice and people are afraid to set foot outside the door......mind you no problems making it out on a Friday or Saturday night.. :p

M

Flush once.
See base for exp date.

Last edited:
Maximus, you're all heart; you must be . . . posting at 3.00am . . . You wouldn't think of taking over Vincent de Paul Society?

I have walked to and from work all week, very hard going especially as the walk home is all uphill! Anyone who made the effort is being paid as normal and not having pay docked or time owing for coming in late or going home early. My place has stayed closed today for the first time this week.

My husband manages around 30 staff and he has only had 2 not turn up at all this week, no effort at all to get in even though they live nearer than most, they have been told they are either not being paid or can take it as annual leave. All his other staff who have made some effort, even if arriving late, going home early or working from home are being paid as normal, which I think is the most reasonable action. I don't get why anyone would expect the employer to give them a full day or week's pay for not doing any work unless it was taken out of annual leave.

I say Oates old chap, did you make it back to the homestead?
Just in time to turn around and head back into work!

Actually, it was a fairly pleasant and entertaining 90 min walk home along the unused Luas tracks, taking the route that is not available the rest of the time. It reminded me of scenes from some Nazi concentration camp movie, with lines of people battleing through and against the snow. Funny how people fell into 'travel on the left' protocol so quickly.

It took me 90 minutes to drive less than 3 miles yesterday evening, in Dublin.

So, this morning, I got the DART to the station 'nearest' work. After a 40 minute trudge uphill, I got here before 9:30. I'll be leaving mid-afternoon and if anyone raises so much as an eyebrow about timekeeping, they'll be toast ;) !

I got into work in 45 minutes. The snow is now pelting down so the trip home might be fun!

I work in the middle of nowhere but managed to get in by bus and taxi. Am definitely going to leave early and have emailed work home if I can't get in tomorrow. For some strange reason, though, I feel a bit reluctant to ask if that's okay. I haven't been here long and am wondering if they will feel I'm setting a precendent or something.

Employers understanding about weather.

We got let off at 3 again today. E mail sent just after lunch telling us to go when ready.

Some went out the door like rockets whilst others finished what they were doing and headed off. Some of those living nearer or more confident driving in snow stayed on.

We got let off at 3 again today. E mail sent just after lunch telling us to go when ready.

Some went out the door like rockets whilst others finished what they were doing and headed off. Some of those living nearer or more confident driving in snow stayed on.

I presume you weren't one of them!

I presume you weren't one of them!

I finished whatever I was doing and then went.

I hate driving in this weather. My car is a disaster in this weather, so have borrowed a little 4x4 and it has made such a difference.

The same 2 who rang in for the week last cold snap at my OH's place did the same this week, except it was a text on Tuesday night to him to say they were not going to attempt to get in due to snow. Somehow, however they managed to get in to do shopping yesterday, spotted by a couple of people including my husband (their boss!) I can only put it down to stupidity :confused:

It's idiots like those who make it hard for bosses to be a bit flexible with staff. So everyone suffers.

Back