Employer moved away - Emp. Appeals Tribunal for redundancy?

L

Lolo00

My husband was made redundant last October. His employer assured him there was no problem with redundancy payment.

Having submitted all the relevant documentation to the employers accountant hubby was told that all was in order and now all he has to do is wait.

He had been checking in with the accountant on and off and all seemed to be going ahead, then he checked with the Dept. of Enterprise, Trade and Employment in Dublin last week to make sure the claim had gone through. They told him it was their office in Carlow who are dealing with it, he phoned them and was told that his claim is being processed.

In the meantime he discovered that the employer has moved to the UK.

He got a letter from the Dept. this morning saying that his employer has not responded to their letters asking that him to prove that he cannot pay redundancy, therefore they are advising my husband to take a claim through the Employment Appeals Tribunal.

Has anybody else gone down this route and if so how long and complicated is it? Also, should he get representation or just go through the process himself? Its sickening that after all this time we're now back to square one while the employer's wife works in our town and he has two houses currently on sale here.

He can go through the process himself. Its not difficult to. If oyu are worried or need further assistance, drop me a line

Thats a relief to hear, I'm sure he'll be delighted. I'll certainly contact you if we have any questions, thanks a mill

Back