Employed on the same fixed term contract for the last two years. Not being renewed.

Dipper

I hope someone can help me - maybe this is more an askaboutlaw post, but I'll try here first:

I have been employed on the same fixed term contract for the last two years; it was renewed last year. That contract is still available this year, but my employer is not offering it to me. I thought they had to, unless they were unsatisfied with my performance, in which case they would have to tell me. Am I mistaken on this?

Last edited:
Re: Entitlement to a job?

The reason you're on contract is probably because they can't hire you full-time. I'm sure current economic climate means that are focussing totally on all contracts and reducing or not renewing them where possible. This is true whether you're in the Public Sector or not. A contract is only good for the period agreed - never assume that it might be automatically renewed even for exemplary delivery of performance and service. Reduced hours contract sounds good for now.

Thanks Eithne. THe thing is the contract still exists. But they are trying to split it between me and another person. I didn't think you could do that. I thought that if the contract or job was still available, then the person who had been doing it should continue to do it, unless they were deemed unfit, which I haven't been.

I can't see how they can change your contract before it's up for renewal.

Sounds to me like they don't want to disappoint anyone and let them go ie the other worker.

Dipper, can you clarify if you are one year through a two year contract or if your two year contract was renewed for one year and that year is now up.

Re: Employed on the same fixed term contract for the last two years. Not being renewe

Hi Purple. It's been 2 one-year fixed term contracts, one after the other, with no break in service.

Re: Employed on the same fixed term contract for the last two years. Not being renewe

While you have my sympathy, there is no obligation on the employer to offer you a contract renewal, and they are entitled to say good bye to you on the day your contract finishes, and offer it to someone else the following day.

I have been contracting myself for >3 years now, and it can be tough at the best of times, never mind the current economic environment. Keep the chin up.

Back