employed in public service and running a business

laois1

Can anyone advise in relation to employment law in relation to the above. Can a person be employed as a public service worker, specifically within an acute hospital while also running a business ? are there any restrictions in relation to this ? Many thanks

I cant divulge or be more specific as its situation at a friends workplace. Just wondered if this was permitted. Its not me just a situation that a friend wondered about. I dont know if there is any problem at all. Perhaps not ?? My friend was annoyed as this person was leaving work during the day intermittently to attend to business matters without permission and leaving work undone. The person has no intention of retiring to my knowledge and intends to keep their current job also. Im sure other people must do similiar. Would you need permission from a line manager ??

AFAIK, you need permission from HR to make sure there is no conflict of interest between the day job and the other business, this was brought into the puplic service in the early 90s AFAIR.

My friend was annoyed as this person was leaving work during the day intermittently to attend to business matters without permission and leaving work undone.

If this person was attending to other business matters while being paid by the Public Service at the same time, then this is fraud and the person risks being fired if caught.

My friend was annoyed as this person was leaving work during the day intermittently to attend to business matters without permission and leaving work undone.

In theory your friend should report him to his Line Manager. However your friend should consider that they may have to continue working with this person. My experience is that these type of people usually get caught out by management eventually.

Thanks for replies. Yes it has been reported to management - i gather. While his colleagues wish him well in his business venture its a little grating on others to be picking up the pieces in relation to work. Will be interesting to see what the manager does about his disappearing all the time, not clocking out etc.

Sorry, i just meant that surely some public sector employees have outside business interests and its not a problem, assuming they do not do a disappearing act from their day responsibilities ?? I m also a PSE, dont know anyone that has a second job or business but the issue here is this person disappearing during his working day and failing to do his duties, effectively being paid a salary while often not on the premises. My friend has said that he has been warned before ? How do these warnings work - how many can you get before being dismissed ? Is it not extremely difficult to sack someone in the public sector ???

How do these warnings work - how many can you get before being dismissed ? Is it not extremely difficult to sack someone in the public sector ???
You usually get a verbal warning, then a written warning and then a final warning. After that they take action to terminate your employment.

Not many lose their job in the Public Sector as most take notice of the warnings and stop whatever they are doing.

Terms of employment may not preclude external work if there is no conflict of interest. Provided that the employee meets his normal work requirements and work does not interfere or overlap with his normal duties then there should not be an issue.

This is very common in healthcare...eg consultants having private practice.
Mary Harney tried to introduce contracts to force them to be accountable for being in the hospital for the 33 hours of their contract. Those forced to have these contracts didn't sign them and still work in their private clinics.

If they can't force consultants to pony up, I can't see how they can force others down the line to do so??? But maybe I'm naive....

This is very common in healthcare...eg consultants having private practice.
Mary Harney tried to introduce contracts to force them to be accountable for being in the hospital for the 33 hours of their contract. Those forced to have these contracts didn't sign them and still work in their private clinics.

If they can't force consultants to pony up, I can't see how they can force others down the line to do so??? But maybe I'm naive....

Consultants on the new contract are entitled to a private practice if they have a B contract. IMO there is very little difference between the 2 contracts except new contract holders are expected to stay within a public private ratio.

In answer to the OP, PS workers are allowed to have a private business but should not be leaving their workplace to attend to it. My brother has a small business and works it after work, weekends and on his days off.

Lots of public servants have shops, pubs, farms, taxis etc. I don't think having another sourse of employment is outlawed.

I cant divulge or be more specific as its situation at a friends workplace. Just wondered if this was permitted. Its not me just a situation that a friend wondered about. I dont know if there is any problem at all. Perhaps not ?? My friend was annoyed as this person was leaving work during the day intermittently to attend to business matters without permission and leaving work undone. The person has no intention of retiring to my knowledge and intends to keep their current job also. Im sure other people must do similiar. Would you need permission from a line manager ??

Is it a holiday camp because it sure sounds like it!!......

Back