Emirates from Dublin - caution

Sumatra

Emirates are starting from Dublin in January but in many cases (e.g. CMB-DUB and AKL-DUB) they have poor connections. In some cases you can have an 18 hour layover in Dubai.

They have an offer of over night accommodation http://www.emirates.com/ie/english/plan_book/essential_information/long_stopovers.aspx but only if you book under certain fare codes.

During the booking process you are not told whether the fare you are booking qualifies because you are not told the fare class.

I rang my local Emirates office – a Dublin number to ask if the fare I was booking would qualify. You get the usual ‘calls may be recorded..’ and the ticket agent confirmed it would qualify.

Based on this information I booked and three minutes after booking I phoned Emirates and was told the fare did not qualify and I’d have to make my own arrangements or wait in the terminal for the 18 hours.

Perhaps I can help others avoid a similar fate.

Emirates have a very poor complaints process eventually after a few weeks you’ll get through to Sharon Hurdiss their Customer Affairs Manager UK & Ireland who will tell you their decision is final.

A few points to note:

The Dublin number on the Emirates web site connects you with their UK officer or out of hours Dubai or India. You don’t have any come back because the office is not in Ireland so you can go to the European National Consumer Agency. Then there is the equivalent in Dubai.

Recording of calls are not used to back up the consumers story. If you ask your Credit Card company to withhold payment under their charge back facility then they tell me they cannot do so as it must be in writing – ‘this call is recorded…’ may not be used as evidence that you were mislead.

Irish Travel agents are being paid double commission to sell Emirates tickets http://www.ittn.ie/news-features/emirates-offers-10-per-cent-commission-2/
Remember there are alternative airlines without long layovers. Don’t go with the 18 hour lay over in Dubai. You could go Etihad instead

If your book online with Emirates you have very little comeback and when things go wrong, as is my experience you’ll find their customer service deplorable. They will tell you black is white you’re wrong and they’re right.

If Emirates are not successful they will pull their Dublin service and route their passengers to Dublin through the UK instead.

If anyone comes across Ms. Margaret Shannon who has just this week been appointed Country Manager for Emirates could you pass on her contact details to me as Sumatra would like to wish her well.

Back