Elopement ! Where and has anyone done it?

DeKi

Hi There,
Planning on getting married at some stage next year but do not want the "big wedding" reception etc. Was thinking about going to Paris or New York and doing it there. Maybe doing the legal bit here before we go and having the blessing over there, having a nice informal photos taken and going for a nice meal etc. (It would just be the 2 of us). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, If anyone has done it in I would be really interested in hearing how and where etc!
Thanks all,
Catherine

Catherine,
Hardly elopement:) as we all know about it!
"To elope, most literally, merely means to run away, and to not come back to the point of origination.[1] More specifically, elopement is often used to refer to a marriage conducted in sudden and secretive fashion, usually involving hurried flight away from one's place of residence together with one's beloved with the intention of getting married."

I would do the paperwork here as you will need witnesses as well as satisfying the notice period etc with the new rules.

You know you can now get the registrar to come to designated places such as hotels etc
On the blessing bit I don't what you have in mind but might be easier to get the local padre here to do the needful.
Trying to do it offshore will be tricky and cost, in Spain for example you need to bring your own priest now in most places

We could get witnesses without too much of a problem - I've heard the photographer can even stand in as one. Perhaps I am wrong. We will only consider Paris or New York...

I remember visiting Rome when they were have multiple weddings at the same time. Each couple lined up in a row. A conveyor belt job. I thought it rather sad but that was my perception and probably not reality. I suppose if in a similar situation you could meet up with some of the others afterwards and have a ball.

I did it in 2009 - eloped off and came home married - great fun altogether!!
We did a civil ceremony only (both atheists so no interest in blessing), in South Africa - very easy, only needed our birth certs and passports.

Just google the legal requirements for NY and Paris - its easy to do it.

We flew from Sydney to Brisbane to get married.....more than 20 years ago.
My hubby had some friends in Brisbane...I met my bridesmaid the night before the wedding.....
Day of the wedding I had my hair done while my husband went to the florist and had a bouquet of flowers made up for me. When we collected the flowers an hour later....the florist said....'so who's getting married' to which we replied 'we are'...she handed me my bouquet and said Have a 'Happy Life.....no charge....'
There were eight people at the wedding....we all just went for a really nice meal afterwards.
The marriage licence cost us $95......the best money we have ever spent......
Just keep it simple.....it's about your love for each other......

We married in Rome 1983, it was wonderful no family present (they/we dident have the money) italian photagrapher and forget who else was a witness. We we had a beautiful cermany and a really nice meal with the irish priest who officiated at the ceromony. Thereafter, I must say that we have had a happy married life. It cost us precious little at the time. Anyone out there who feels that they would like to get married, I would highly recommend it

OP you say you plan on doing the legal stuff here ie a civil marriage...do you really need the ceremonial stuff as well? Why not just go to Paris or New York on honeymoon?

It would be pretty unusual to have a civil ceremony here and then seek a blessing in Paris or NY...prob the best place to start looking for info is at churches in those cities. St. Patrick's is the biggest catholic cathedral/parish on Manhattan and there are loads of beautiful churches dotted around the city - especially in Little Italy. Maybe contact the parishes to find out about arranging a blessing if that's what you want. For Paris I would suggest contacting the Irish College, they have a beautiful, tiny chapel on the grounds.

Back