Eligibility change from Class 3 to Class 2, same circumstances

Rosie80

Apologies if this is long. I was born in the UK and worked there for 9 years before leaving, to travel for 4 years and eventually settle in Ireland. I've worked here for 13 years.

I applied to pay voluntary NIC in 2021. They quoted Class 2 for that year, and I subsequently got a letter inviting me to pay Class 2 for 2022/23 but all previous years were quoted at Class 3. I don't understand how this can be when my circumstances have remained the same. Anyone know possible reasons for this?

I resent the CF83, along with my PRSI record and employment history, in May 2023. Government Gateway has the status of my request as 'completed' now but there's no change to the missing years, still Class 3 so I'm not hopeful this issue is resolved!

My understanding is that to be eligible for class 2 contributions one needed to have taken up employment immediately after leaving the UK.

Based on that it seems to me your travelling years are the issue.

That said, it doesn't explain (to me) why you were eligible for class 2 for the years stated.

Hopefully someone else can elaborate.

From my understanding the online information defaults to Class 3; so wait and see what the result of your appeal is.

Thanks both for your replies. I didn't think it mattered if you worked immediately after leaving, I thought the requirements are that you worked in the UK immediately before leaving and that you had to be working abroad during the period you want to pay the voluntary contributions for. Time will tell I guess!

For periods where you are not working you pay class 3. Mine are mainly class 2 but I had a couple of months between jobs and that is at class 3.

For periods where you are not working you pay class 3. Mine are mainly class 2 but I had a couple of months between jobs and that is at class 3.
Yes this is also my understanding. I was working for every year but one for the 16 years I wished to back pay NICS for. I was quoted class 3 for that single year, class 2 for all others. I paid for 15 years at class 2 leaving that one year as a gap. I have enough remaining years to pay in the future to achieve the maximum benefit amount.

Just to update, I received a letter this morning stating I can pay voluntary class 2 NICs for 17 years from 2006 to 2023. Still not sure this is correct as I wasn't employed for some of that time, and I paid 2021-2023 already but very happy with the outcome. Thanks to everyone who contributes their time and expertise on here.

Hope for me so. I received my letter yesterday, informing me that I am not eligible to pay class 2 as they have no record of me being employed immediately before leaving the UK.
I was self employed on the building and I can't see on my record any NI contributions for the 6 or 7 months before I left UK.
(I must have either not bought them or they were not registered on my record, too far back for my memory, 34 yrs) have been in full employment in Ireland since my return in 1990
Letter also said if I want to apply for class 3 I need to send in a new CF83 form.

Don't know if I should appeal or just apply for the class 3

Appeal. It'll only cost you a stamp. Include as much detail / documents as you can; see if you can find tax records.

Last edited:
Thanks both for your replies. I didn't think it mattered if you worked immediately after leaving, I thought the requirements are that you worked in the UK immediately before leaving and that you had to be working abroad during the period you want to pay the voluntary contributions for. Time will tell I guess!
That is correct, the requirement is that you were in "insured employment immediately leaving the UK". You will only get Class 2 for the periods you have been in insured employment abroad (Ireland and elsewhere), any gaps betwen employments will be assessed at Class 3

Appeal. It'll only cost you a stamp. Include as much detail / documents as you can; see if you can find tax records.
Cheers, unfortunately I may not have bought NI stamps for the last few months before I left UK. So all I can do really is appeal as you suggest and include my PRSI record for Ireland since my return.

Back