Electrics cutting out

S

Simeon

Last night while driving I noticed (first of all) the tape skipping as I went from full beam to dims. Later on the electrics cut out completely for about a second then came back on. Soon afterwards they cut out again for a second or so. I stopped playing the tape, lowered the headlight angle and came home on full beam. Once when the front windows were closed the lights went out as I hit the switches for closing them. Other than that everything else is fine. Anyone got any idea what the problem is? Toyota CarinaE 1994. 147k miles. Recent NCT. Thanks

I dont mean to be rude but I think you gave us the answer yourself. "Toyota CarinaE 1994. 147k miles"

Hi

dont know what the problem is but here are somethings that can be checked.

1) Battery terminals are clean and tight. Clean on the contact area to battery. Use sandpaper on both to get good connection.
2) If you have a multimeter , chech the resistance from the battery negative to the engine block and chassis. If you dont have a multimeter, then follow the wires from the negative to the engine and chassis. Make sure that connections are clean and tight.
3) Check connection on rear of alternator, Disconnect battery neg before doing this. Also check the wires to the starter.
4) Check also the wires into the fuse box are all tight.

Hope this may help.

Wouldn't wprry about the mileage either - a mate of mine recently got rit of a Carina with 250,000 miles on it - and sold it!

Hi

dont know what the problem is but here are somethings that can be checked.

1) Battery terminals are clean and tight. Clean on the contact area to battery. Use sandpaper on both to get good connection.
2) If you have a multimeter , chech the resistance from the battery negative to the engine block and chassis. If you dont have a multimeter, then follow the wires from the negative to the engine and chassis. Make sure that connections are clean and tight.
3) Check connection on rear of alternator, Disconnect battery neg before doing this. Also check the wires to the starter.
4) Check also the wires into the fuse box are all tight.

Hope this may help.
Thanks steelblue! It was the battery connection - loose.:eek:

Back