Electric Cars - a ridiculous product

It's not the only reason, but I derive greater satisfaction from spending my money on other things than a car.
I think you'll be saving more money on running an EV then a ICE. Which is another reason why they like them as taxis.

Any way my point is fuel cost is only a small part of the advantages of an EV. It's another value added. Unless you're doing mega mileage. Which we know from the data the vast majority of people aren't doing.

If you want to avoid depreciation and expensive cars don't buy an expensive one, especially not new. That applies regardless of fuel type.

Theres people still waiting for hydrogen cars, even as their promise fades away.
People have different needs & wants and we're lucky to live in a society where we can choose. For the record, I would prefer an EV. It would make a lot more sense for me. I live in the city and I work from home so I would only need to charge it every few weeks. But I would need to either (a) fork out more money than I wish or (b) drive something I wouldn't like to. So for me, I will play the waiting game. The fly in the ointment for me, is that most EVs seem to be either small cars or SUVs, neither of which appeal to me..

I drive an older E class. For an EV for the same money, I would be looking something like Leaf, which would be far from a vastly better experience to me, especially as I rather enjoy the cacophonic roar from farting into heated, leather seats :D

eClass perfect city car.

People have different needs & wants and we're lucky to live in a society where we can choose. For the record, I would prefer an EV. It would make a lot more sense for me. I live in the city and I work from home so I would only need to charge it every few weeks. But I would need to either (a) fork out more money than I wish or (b) drive something I wouldn't like to. So for me, I will play the waiting game. The fly in the ointment for me, is that most EVs seem to be either small cars or SUVs, neither of which appeal to me..

Can't argue with that.

I downsized. As it seemed weird to buy a massive SUV at big expense and use it as intended about 2% of the time.

Like the idea of a weekend barge though.

I would take the opposite view. I do circa 90% city driving and spend between 1,000 to 1,500 euro per year on fuel. Financially, an EV doens't make sense for me - even if I got free lecky, the savings wouldn't come close to offsetting the additional purchase cost (unless I wanted to drive a car from a much smaller segment). I would think that those with long commutes (safely within battery range) would save a lot in fuel. I think that's why taxis are using them - they drive them close to their ranges and save heaps on fuel....
I was not including the cost factor , I was only looking at the practical side of it regarding range . For me there is no financial sense in an EV , why do you think Eamon Ryan and the Greens have gone to such lengths to subside the things ??? Without the handouts nobody would be interested , its a scam , the Greens simply are clueless , in 2008 they changed the car tax under "CO2" figures and so many people bought diesel to take advantage of this yet while Diesel produces less CO2 than Petrol it has much more in the way of other harmful emissions hence the need for DPF filters and Ad Blue , people only driving in urban environments have found out the hard way how much it costs to replace a DPF filter , if you were doing long distance driving then DPF replacement is not as big an issue . EVs are doomed as the tech is just not there yet and this is the reason so many big car producers are betting on other types of internal combustion going forward .

Greens just copied the EU which is why places like France and UK etc did the same with diesel. Also Greens were a minority in those governments. Why does the majority party get a free pass.

For me the costs of DPF, EGR was about 3k combined. Lot of that is labour due to poor access to them. And it wasn't a permanent fix that could be repeated anywhere from 6-12 months. Also had problems with DSG gear box. Who knows how much that was going to cost. Then had fuel pump and abs unit fail thankfully under warranty. But so time it many breakdowns requiring a recovery. Ultimately a car thats going to randomly leave me in limp mode on the motorway is not viable not matter what the range or how fast to fill up. Had diesels in the past that went to 250k with no unusual costs. Modern cars are just stupidly fickle for stupid reasons.

Have a n/a petrol that has fuel issues with bad fuel/E10 or who knows. That was another limp mode that took a month or two to resolve.

Just fed up with it.

DPF (as far as I know) isn't fixed by long distance. It's fixed by running at a certain temp for x period time. Usually higher revs. Which isn't always the case with long distance driving. Having to take a car for a 40 drive at high revs to clear a filter which I did every fortnight, was ridiculous. In the end it got blocked anyway.

Theses parts should be easily accessible and serviceable annually. They are designed so badly.

DPF (as far as I know) isn't fixed by long distance. It's fixed by running at a certain temp for x period time. Usually higher revs. Which isn't always the case with long distance driving. Having to take a car for a 40 drive at high revs to clear a filter which I did every fortnight, was ridiculous. In the end it got blocked anyway.

Theses parts should be easily accessible and serviceable annually. They are designed so badly.
Urban driving never gets the heat up enough or the revs going high enough for long enough to clear the things , if people were not encouraged to go diesel in the first place under false pretences then the majority would still drive petrol .

For me there is no financial sense in an EV , why do you think Eamon Ryan and the Greens have gone to such lengths to subside the things ???

I'm sure that's true. From a policy point of view, I'm in favour of making it make financial sense for you! (Nothing personal!) I would support heavily penalising the use of diesel for private transport, particularly for the 64% of the population who live in urban areas.

why do you think Eamon Ryan and the Greens have gone to such lengths to subside the things ???
You know they spend more on diesel rebates? Some of the EVs sold here don't qualify for grants. If more EVs aren't sold, do you know what level the fines we'll end up paying are?

EVs are doomed as the tech is just not there yet and this is the reason so many big car producers are betting on other types of internal combustion going forward .
What new types of internal combustion and who's putting big money into them?

You know they spend more on diesel rebates? Some of the EVs sold here don't qualify for grants. If more EVs aren't sold, do you know what level the fines we'll end up paying are?

What new types of internal combustion and who's putting big money into them?

Mercedes , GM , Toyota and Honda are all backing the hydrogen engine to be a bigger seller that EV and are gearing up to produce more
Skoda is backing HVO and all of their Diesel Engines will run on it .

The EV makers are very economical with the true CO2 footprint of their vehicles and batteries , electric tech just is not where it needs to be just yet to save the planet , Lithium , Cobalt etc are very rare and expensive to mine .

Insurance costs in this country has caused much debate in recent years , just wait till the Insurance Industry here follows the US and UK rates .
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/consumer/electric-car-insurance-cost

Last edited:
I'm sure that's true. From a policy point of view, I'm in favour of making it make financial sense for you! (Nothing personal!) I would support heavily penalising the use of diesel for private transport, particularly for the 64% of the population who live in urban areas.
It was the Greens who wanted people to drive Diesel in the first place( Car Tax change in 2008) as it emits less CO2 than petrol , but they ignored the fact that petrol is a cleaner fuel in many other aspects . I agree with you that Diesel is not suitable for cars in an urban environment, its ideal for long distance driving and goods transportation. Even the Yanks know petrol is cleaner for urban use and they are not known for their environmental credentials .

If you look at the emissions scandal VW got into in the US you could never take range / emissions from a manufacturer at face value again.

Insurance has increased for all cars.

"...the average premium across all car types has increased by 58% in the past 12 months, from £586 to a record £924. However, this masks higher premium increases for EVs, which in the same period shot up 72%, compared with 29% for petrol and diesel cars..."

Part of this reason is insurers are writing off cars rather than repairing them. Same issue with ICE cars.

"...EVs being written off prematurely and causing claims costs to rise disproportionately...”

While there are supply issues effecting ICE cars, as well. But the EV manufacturers are doing themselves no favors by not having a supply chain in place for battery repairs and replacement. They are shooting themselves in both feet.

Mercedes , GM , Toyota and Honda are all backing the hydrogen engine to be a bigger seller that EV and are gearing up to produce more
Skoda is backing HVO and all of their Diesel Engines will run on it .
I thought that for a long time too, even discussing it on here 6+ years ago as a better alternative to heavy low-energy density batteries. There is some investment in hydrogen, but many of the big players have said it won't be viable in the medium term. Perhaps more discovery of naturally occurring reserves might change the dynamics.

Japan opened its first hydrogen fuelling station in 2005, 19 years later there's still less than 200 of them primarily in the three biggest cities. Man have recently announced they're building 200 hydrogen powered trucks, suggesting they're doing so to prove it isn't a viable alternative the BEVs.

So I was a big believer in hydrogen 6 years ago, I'm a lot less confident it will take over at this stage. It's been around a long time and where available, still costs more per mile than petrol, so significantly more expensive than electricity.

"...the average premium across all car types has increased by 58% in the past 12 months, from £586 to a record £924. However, this masks higher premium increases for EVs, which in the same period shot up 72%, compared with 29% for petrol and diesel cars..."
Perhaps best not to look at increase in isolation. I was curious reading those headlines recently too, and the challenges some of the UK repair shops were having regarding safety regs in particular the free space required around crashed EVs, so I ran a few quotes on the insurers here. Right now, based on a couple of examples, insurance on an EV is 30% cheaper than on an ICE vehicle of the same value but with far poorer performance specs.

Perhaps best not to look at increase in isolation. I was curious reading those headlines recently too, and the challenges some of the UK repair shops were having regarding safety regs in particular the free space required around crashed EVs, so I ran a few quotes on the insurers here. Right now, based on a couple of examples, insurance on an EV is 30% cheaper than on an ICE vehicle of the same value but with far poorer performance specs.
Thats now , but just wait until the Insurance companies here follow their UK and US counterparts , performance of an EV being on point the Insurance companies will have people caught on , these can go from 0 to 100k much faster than even high performance ICE cars , insurance companies look for every angle to gouge money here , just wait and see . I didnt even mention the increased fire risk from Lithium Ion Battery packs , look at youtube and you can see how dangerous these can be once a fire starts .
I am not against the EV concept , but the tech is just not here yet to make it practical .

Thats now , but just wait until the Insurance companies here follow their UK and US counterparts , performance of an EV being on point the Insurance companies will have people caught on , these can go from 0 to 100k much faster than even high performance ICE cars , insurance companies look for every angle to gouge money here , just wait and see .
Are you suggesting that all the insurance companies here are somehow unaware of the high performance of current EVs? Insurance prices are based on real data relating to accident rates, theft rates, costs of claims and reinsurance costs. So far here, it looks like claims payments on EVs are less than ICE equivalents, and that's why costs are lower. That may change, but could go either way.

I didnt even mention the increased fire risk from Lithium Ion Battery packs , look at youtube and you can see how dangerous these can be once a fire starts .
Do you have proof of a higher rate of fires for EVs here? Please don't tell me you take YouTube as any kind of authoritative source!

Interesting article here which may give some background from a US perspective, details on fire risk etc

However comparing the US and and Ireland may not be that simple, for example, a lot of Irish EV's will be used for town driving or relatively short runs in comparison to the US.

Largely in line with what I posted earlier.

Always useful to look at the bigger picture when looking at the insurance industry habits...

Back