Election Posters Gone Mad

Interesting idea - the downside would be putting further power in the hands of the media, as they would have a stranglehold over mass access to the public.

Agreed, but I like the idea of having something like townhall like debates where all issues (including media driven propaganda) could be debated regularly. Trying to encourage people to get involved in politics (get their questions answered).

People know that TDs are well out of touch with the average Joe, this way they would have to answer questions on their policies and actions (not just the opposition party).

On my way home from work today I gave some serious thought to starting a life of crime - by graffiting these posters ... devil horns, mustaches etc.

Apparently some young gilrs are stealing the posters of Ivor Callery's young son who is standing for elections to Dublin City Council. I thing we need
to protest agianst all this nepotism, especially in Fianna Fail. Everyone seems to be related to one another. I read somewhere that not one Fianna Fail woman in the Dail got there on own her merits but rather because she was related to some man. Look at the Andrews family, 5 of them there because of their relationship to Todd Andrews. What a shame

Apparently some young gilrs are stealing the posters of Ivor Callery's young son who is standing for elections to Dublin City Council. I thing we need
to protest agianst all this nepotism, especially in Fianna Fail. Everyone seems to be related to one another. I read somewhere that not one Fianna Fail woman in the Dail got there on own her merits but rather because she was related to some man. Look at the Andrews family, 5 of them there because of their relationship to Todd Andrews. What a shame

I agree. But its the voters who are at fault. Why are they voting for people with no track record, just because they're so and so's daughter or son?

I agree. But its the voters who are at fault. Why are they voting for people with no track record, just because they're so and so's daughter or son?
Lets hope the voters of Dundrum remember this when they see not one but two Brennans, neither of whom have any political experience, on their ballot papers.

On a lighter note, I saw one local candidate "supervising" what looked like some tidying up of his own posters, lifting it higher, straightening up or whatever. I couldn't ask as I was driving past.

Few hours later he comes into the shop where I work and I made some crack about him playing supervisor and was the sign not straight or something.

"Oh no!" says he, "my wife wanted to put up a hanging basket so I had to move it higher!"

"Well at least you know who's really in charge" says I.

The Seanad Elections (for Univ. seats anyway) take place without any election posters. Every candidate is allowed to send each person in their constituency a letter/leaflet to pitch for their votes. Why can we do the same for all elections and get rid of this poster madness?

I agree. Get rid of posters.

They are already spamming my letter box with their leaflets delivered by An Post. As there are several people living here is there really a need for a personally addresed leaflet to each person? Who pays for the postage?

Back