Elderly people parking in parent & Child Spaces

Think that parent & child parking is a godsend trying to get a child into a carseat you need extra space. They don't however have to be right beside the door of the shop, these should be left for disabled spaces. Wouldn't mind a pregnancy parking space though ;) find it more difficult to get myself out at 8 months pregnant than a squirming 2 year old.

Just wait until this (drive-though Tesco) comes over here and other shops join in - parking problems solved once and for all!

The OAPs may not be that active & may deserve places close to the shop

Just wait until this (drive-though Tesco) comes over here and other shops join in - parking problems solved once and for all!

That's a great system they have there
Only a matter of time before it's rolled out across Ireland

Why would you want to maximise this risk?

It would not have to maximise the risk. Like I said they could be put on a side wall at the top of the row with a walkway to the front of the store or to the nearest pathway.

Like a previous poster said most babies/toddlers would be in a buggy anyway.

I have 3 children and have used the parent and child spaces when they were small. It was for the wider spaces and it was a nice perk to be beside the door. On the many occasions I could not get one of those spaces it was no huge hardship.

Like a previous poster said most babies/toddlers would be in a buggy anyway.
It is quite rare to see a buggy in a supermarket. Those that are there are usually from people who have walked to the supermarket. No-one is going to unpack a buggy from a car boot, use it to get into the supermarket, and the push a buggy AND a trolley around the shop.

It is quite rare to see a buggy in a supermarket. Those that are there are usually from people who have walked to the supermarket. No-one is going to unpack a buggy from a car boot, use it to get into the supermarket, and the push a buggy AND a trolley around the shop.

This is so true! There is no keeping everyone happy - when a parent puts a child into the trolley (one reason could be to make the passage to the car safer for everyone), people complain about child's shoes dirtying a trolley in which they put their food. If a parent parks close to the door, those without children object to the convenience which 'parent and child' spaces are. If a parent uses a regular space further down and bashes bejayzus out of somebody else's door (not intentionally) while trying to secure a child in the carseat, everyone jumps to arms.

No one has yet explained what are parents with small children expected to do in carparks.

This is so true! There is no keeping everyone happy - when a parent puts a child into the trolley (one reason could be to make the passage to the car safer for everyone), people complain about child's shoes dirtying a trolley in which they put their food. If a parent parks close to the door, those without children object to the convenience which 'parent and child' spaces are. If a parent uses a regular space further down and bashes bejayzus out of somebody else's door (not intentionally) while trying to secure a child in the carseat, everyone jumps to arms.

No one has yet explained what are parents with small children expected to do in carparks.

No one is objecting to you having wide spaces. And there is a seat in trollies for very small children or babies.

And there is a seat in trollies for very small children or babies.

The point that is trying to be made is that you could have to get 2-3 small kids through a busy car-park, even to get to the trolleys. The more car park that these kids have to toddle through, the more dangerous it is.

The point that is trying to be made is that you could have to get 2-3 small kids through a busy car-park, even to get to the trolleys. The more car park that these kids have to toddle through, the more dangerous it is.

I did say in an early post that extra wide spaces should be made available in the general area of the car park and beside a trolley bay. Apart from anything else you can't unload your shopping and then leave your kids alone in the car while you return your trolley. But these spaces should not be taking up all of the area near the door when there are other people who also need these spaces. Mothers with kids do not trump everyone else.

I did say in an early post that extra wide spaces should be made available in the general area of the car park and beside a trolley bay. Apart from anything else you can't unload your shopping and then leave your kids alone in the car while you return your trolley. But these spaces should not be taking up all of the area near the door when there are other people who also need these spaces. Mothers with kids do not trump everyone else.

+1 (as a parent with 2 kids)

I did say in an early post that extra wide spaces should be made available in the general area of the car park and beside a trolley bay. Apart from anything else you can't unload your shopping and then leave your kids alone in the car while you return your trolley. But these spaces should not be taking up all of the area near the door when there are other people who also need these spaces.
I agree.

Mothers with kids do not trump everyone else.
or even fathers with kids.

Mothers with kids do not trump everyone else.

Neither do people just because they've passed a certain age irrespective of how able they are.

It's just a nice thing the supermarkets/shops have done for a particular group of people in order to ease the burden of getting kids in and out a car and the potential of having kids walking through car parks. Yes you can control kids most of the time, but then they only have to slip away for a second. And then there's the drivers in car parks who don't exactly pay attention to the level crossings and pedestrians (but then I suppose those aren't legally enforceable either). So they provided them to be nice and add some aspect of convenience for those with young kids. Those few less yards to the entrance really are such a sacrifice for the rest of us.

Those elderly people who have an issue with mobility and really can't physically manage the additional couple of yards on top of walking around a supermarket have an issue with their doctors if they can't get a disability pass, not decide that they take priority over a space set aside for someone else. They should be old enough to know that the cheapest thing on this planet is common courtesy.

Neither do people just because they've passed a certain age irrespective of how able they are.

It's just a nice thing the supermarkets/shops have done for a particular group of people in order to ease the burden of getting kids in and out a car and the potential of having kids walking through car parks.

But that's the point, Latrade. They are being nice to one group of people at the expense of another. Why reserve them for anyone (apart from disabled of course) I remember staying with friends in America andthere was a sign beside some spaces near the supermarket door saying something like 'we would respectfully request that these spaces be left available for those who need them'. Obviously some people ignored the sign but most people didn't and there was no resentment about one group of people getting them at the expense of another.

But that's the point, Latrade. They are being nice to one group of people at the expense of another. Why reserve them for anyone (apart from disabled of course) I remember staying with friends in America andthere was a sign beside some spaces near the supermarket door saying something like 'we would respectfully request that these spaces be left available for those who need them'. Obviously some people ignored the sign but most people didn't and there was no resentment about one group of people getting them at the expense of another.

I wonder if you would feel differently if a toddler (short and swift as they are) slipped away from a parent and you knocked him / her over when reversing out of a parking space.

I am by no means militant about parent and child places in terms of their existence and location, but them being where they are really make carparks safer for everyone and just a tiny bit more convenient for parents. I saw a grown woman getting nearly knocked over by a huge reversing SUV, it scares me to think what would happen to a child. Furthermore, I have no issues with old people either but as much as it may be a little bit harder for them to walk accross, at least they know what they are doing and are able to look after themelves.

But that's the point, Latrade. They are being nice to one group of people at the expense of another.
Absolutely not 'at the expense of another'. This is a common tactic used to divide and conquer. P&C facilities are not at the expense of anyone. It is well within the power of any supermarket to provide P&C facilities, and disabled parking facilities, AND facilities for older people if these are required.

Absolutely not 'at the expense of another'. This is a common tactic used to divide and conquer. P&C facilities are not at the expense of anyone. It is well within the power of any supermarket to provide P&C facilities, and disabled parking facilities, AND facilities for older people if these are required.

Yep, they can just fight it out between themselves for the spots outside the door.

Complainer, actually I do that. Unpack the rather heavy buggy, use it to get to the supermarket and put the shopping into the basket underneath the buggy. I hate the trolleys for children because I don't consider them safe and hygienic /and no, I'm not wrapping my child in a cling film so that it's protected from germs and we happily live in the house with our cat, so I'm not obsessed with hygiene/. I use online shopping for my weekly shopping though and only go to the supermarket to buy fresh stuff which online shopping is horrendous for.

I wonder if you would feel differently if a toddler (short and swift as they are) slipped away from a parent and you knocked him / her over when reversing out of a parking space.
./QUOTE]

Could this not happen in town, leaving mass, in a multi-story, leaving a school or just about anywhere where there is a congragation of people?

Back