Elderly people parking in parent & Child Spaces

OP, your friend should have a little more respect, at least until the elderly couple prove that they don't deserve it. Chances are, they are less nimble and less mobile than her.

Tell her to wind her horns in.

Unfortunately a lot of old people see themself as disabled. I saw them in Woodies in Sandyford during the week parked in the disabled spaces...but well able to carry the large bales of woodchip and mosspeat to their cars.

In our supermarket they changed the signs for parent and child parking to parent and infant - mainly because mothers were hopping out of their jeeps into supermarket with teenagers following :rolleyes:

Have to say it really annoys me to see people availing of these spaces and indeed disabled parking spaces when they really don't need them. People should use their heads, if an elderly person parks in them I have no problem with that, if a mother and infant park there again no problem but if somebody parks there with no kids or indeed teenage kids then I will have a problem with it - mainly because there are limited spaces and somebody could come in later and have to park a good bit away.

Rule of thumb should be.... if the kid has teeth then you don't need the special parking space! ....... same for the old people if they have their own teeth then they can walk! :D.... might be a bit hard to enforce though!

I can see a case for an elderly person who may be handicapped in some way using these designated spaces, but as a dad of two small toddlers, it drives me nuts every time I go to Market Green shopping centre in Midleton and see assorted empty nesters in big mercks, delivery vans and young boy/girl racers complete with furry dice parked in the mother and child spaces when theres plenty of room in the car park.

I approached security about it once but got no joy.

Some people would drive into the shop if they could. What's wrong with getting a bit of exercise and walking for 10 seconds more.
However I have small kids and it can be very difficult to get them in and out of the car seat when the car next door is parked too close. This is the main reason I would use a parent and child place if one was free.

I would use them all the time. They are unenforceable bits of paint.

The older people obviously needed to be nearer the door or they would have parked somewhere else. For God sake, at least the OP has a car to go to the shops with. In the eighties I had three children under three and a half - with no car - and had to walk to the shop, around the shop and home from the shop with a double buggy (laden with bags) and a three and a half year old walking beside me. A bit of exercise is no harm for a young mother and child.

The older people obviously needed to be nearer the door or they would have parked somewhere else. For God sake, at least the OP has a car to go to the shops with. In the eighties I had three children under three and a half - with no car - and had to walk to the shop, around the shop and home from the shop with a double buggy (laden with bags) and a three and a half year old walking beside me. A bit of exercise is no harm for a young mother and child.

Agree with this. We never had a car growing up and we were walked to the shop. They certainly don't need to be near the door unlike the spaces for those with mobility issues.

I do see the benefit of them overall in that they might be wider to allow people take the buggy, children and shopping in and out without damaging someone elses car. I will never park beside a car with a baby seat in the back for that reason.

I see alot of women w/o children parking in them as well.

They're the biggest offenders in my experience. Maybe they think that because the spot is reserved for parents with kids, you don't actually have to have your kids with you.

I object to mother and child spaces as I am not allowed to use them when I bring my children to the shops.

Maybe it's because it's mothers with children who actually need wider spaces:). Perhaps they should use the more politically correct "SUV and children".

Considering the lack of respect that the vast majority of mothers and buggies have on footpaths for others (ie, coming through, so you'd better make way) my sympathy levels for them having to walk poor lickle iddums 100m through a carpark is zero.

I agree with disabled spots, and would be more willing to agree to spots for less mobile elderly people than those who find it 'inconvenient' (ie, parents & kids).

I think I would also be in favour of parking spots for the disabled and the elderly in preference to any other group.

Marion

Maybe it's because it's mothers with children who actually need wider spaces:). Perhaps they should use the more politically correct "SUV and children".

No, the parent with the children needs the spot. When I bring my children to do the shopping it seems I'm excluded since I'm their father.

Some women can be very sexist.

No, the parent with the children needs the spot. When I bring my children to do the shopping it seems I'm excluded since I'm their father.

Maybe you're being excluded because you can negotiate the regular-sized spots.:)

Hey Purple, didn't know you could get a H6 through the car park entrance:D Have you tried downsizing?

images

in all honesty, elderly people may sometimes have more difficulties walking than me and my baby - i just put her into her buggy and walk so if an elderly person takes my space, i really don't mind - they have noone to push them in a buggy and if the arthritis or rheuma or simply old age makes it difficult for them to walk than it's better they have the space near the shop and not me.

There are quite a lot of older people who manage to get a disabled parking pass (with the connivance of their GP) for no other reason than being a bit old. They often take up disabled parking bays that they don't really need.

The reason for dedicated Parent & Child spaces is not just the extra room needed when opening doors wide, but also to minimise the risk of children being around car parks - never a good mixture. If older folks see a need for dedicated parking spaces, perhaps they'd consider having some discussions with car park operators, rather than just squatting where they like.

But it's not just older folk that abuse these spaces - see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67790715&postcount=1498

If its the wide spaces that are needed for parent and child spaces they should be put further away from the enterance, on say a side wall. There would not be a problem then as the would not be coveted by people without children as they are not right beside the door.

This would seem to solve the problem.

Only disabled spaces should be at the door and shame on anyone who takes one when they are able bodied

I would use them all the time. They are unenforceable bits of paint.

I'd say you are a fantastic person. We really need more of your type in this country. More selfish "couldn't-give-a-****, I'm within my rights, what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it" people is exactly what's required.

Your attitude exemplifies all that is wrong in this country.

It is all the moralistic holier than thou do gooders is what is really wrong with this country.

Why has the government not legislated for these spaces?

Back