Eircom Broadband Wireless Security Flaw

redstar

Some Netopia routers from Eircom have a security flaw where your Wireless Key could be accessed by unauthorised users/hackers. They just need to see the number of the network which is broadcast.

This can happen only if users have NOT changed the routers default PIN to one of their own.

According to RTE, an Eircom spokesman said;
"He advised customers to change the four-digit security personal identification number provided with their wireless modems in order to provide a basic level of security."

See ...
http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1002/eircom.html

To add to this. This security warning really applies to all routers, e.g, I can pick up 5 wireless networks in my home area, 4 have SID broadcast as the name of the router so I can see what type it is (netopia, linksys etc). Not too long ago I googled for default wireless router passwords and I got the passwords of 1 of these routers in less then 60 seconds.

I know its easy sometimes for people who are tech savvy and scorn on those who even broadcast their wireless SID but there are 3 absolute basics that everyone should follow whatever your router is.

1. Change the default password on your wireless router.
2. Do not broadcast your wireless SID.
3. Have encryption at WPA level

Depending on levels of paranoia you can also lock down access to MAC address using Mac address filtering, so only your client (PC/Laptop) can connect but definitely follow steps 1-3 above.

I have an eircom broadband package. As we cannot take any chance on our network being accessed, and as I have no need of wireless broadband in my office, I unscrewed the little aerial from the broadband router. Have I done enough or should I check some settings on the router too?

I have an eircom broadband package. As we cannot take any chance on our network being accessed, and as I have no need of wireless broadband in my office, I unscrewed the little aerial from the broadband router. Have I done enough or should I check some settings on the router too?
There is some info on thepropertypin about how to switch off wireless within your router. As you have removed the aerial, you have undoubtedly greatly reduced the range the wireless is broadcast at, but that may not be sufficient.

Note, you haven't said which router you are using and the pin instructions are for the netopia one. If you have a different router, google for instructions as to how to switch it off/set basic passwords etc. The procedure is the same, but the default addresses and menus sometime vary.

The following has blog post [broken link removed] has some video tutorials and other guides on how to secure your wireless router.

C

When I first setup a netopia router (for my sister-in-law) I was amazed to find that wireless was ON by default. She didn't need wireless, and had no idea that it was switched on and unsecure. I switched it off.

I suspect Eircoms' intention was to simplify broadband setup for non-techie users by enabling wireless by default.

Back