Economical diesel-Focus or C5?Or other?

toby2111

Hi,
Drive a 2007 VW Golf Sportline 1.4 petrol with 42,500 miles on clock.Going to be doing lots of miles soon so am thinking about changing to an economical diesel.Looking to do a straight swop with a dealer or maybe give max €500 along with my car cos its in top condition.Looking through the net and it seems Citreon C5 and Ford Focus 1.6 are 2 of the better diesels out there.Any other recommendations?(max 1.6 litre cos of extra tax).Also do garages do swops?And would I get a 07 for my 07 or would I have to drop to a 06?Thanks

I can't see any garage giving you a swop as while you would expect 6 months guarantee on their car, you won't be giving them any guarantee on yours which could have unknown problems.

I would also be surprised if they would change for just 500euro unless there was maybe 3 years between the 2 cars

So,that means I'd be looking for a 04 diesel to swop for mine???I dont know much about cars but that seems a bit of a rough deal for me!

So,that means I'd be looking for a 04 diesel to swop for mine???I dont know much about cars but that seems a bit of a rough deal for me!
Why not put your toe in the water?

I agree with Levelpar.

If you don't ask you won't get.

Otherwise sell the golf privatley and go with cash.

Sounds like you are not really in a panic so try this for a month or 2 if it doesn't work no big deal.

Not in a major panic as such but not sure whether to buy now or wait until the New Year.Would there be better value by waiting til Jan 2010?Kinda looking at a Ford Focus 1.6 diesel but looks like I'll have to go 2006 model.Kia Cee'd 1.6 diesel looks interesting.Anyone have any experience of them?

I have a 08 Cordoba 1.4 TDI S which is pretty economical average 4.5L / 100km. get close to 900 km per tank.
road tax is cheap too.

I have a 08 Cordoba 1.4 TDI S which is pretty economical average 4.5L / 100km. get close to 900 km per tank.
road tax is cheap too.

I have this same car and get on average of 700km per tank which consists of mainly town driving.
excellent little car.. €104 road tax as well

I drive a Peugot 308tdi, usually drive around 5-600km a week, mostly N road and motorway with around 20% town driving, I fill up on a Monday morning and usually have change out of €40

Servicing on the Focus will be cheaper than the C5. It's probably more reliable as well. Is it Kia that give a very long warrenty?

I have a kia ceedSW 1.6crdi. It's a good car and costs 150 euro to tax. Uses the same amount of diesel as most other diesels though. 5 to 5.5L/100k. My brother in law drove it for the past few days and got 6.5L/100k. Hmmmm....
The warranty is for 7 years OR 150,000km. It's bumper to bumper cover too and includes parts and labour. Not too shabby at all. I asked because i was skeptical about it.

Hi,
Drive a 2007 VW Golf Sportline 1.4 petrol with 42,500 miles on clock.Going to be doing lots of miles soon so am thinking about changing to an economical diesel.Looking to do a straight swop with a dealer or maybe give max €500 along with my car cos its in top condition.Looking through the net and it seems Citreon C5 and Ford Focus 1.6 are 2 of the better diesels out there.Any other recommendations?(max 1.6 litre cos of extra tax).Also do garages do swops?And would I get a 07 for my 07 or would I have to drop to a 06?Thanks

I'd strongly suggest you try a Golf 1.4 TSI DSG 7 speed 122bhp.

Nippy enough, with similar economy to a diesel and having the refinement of a petrol.

Plus it has arguably the best gearbox in the world bar none for economy 7-speed auto that changes faster than a manual AND gives better economy to boot.

It has all the Saturday night bragging rights on all the technological wizardry you could want - a turbocharger AND a supercharger.

Just make sure that it hasn't missed any services or oil changes if you buy one.

FWIW

ONQ.

Correct me if i'm wrong but if the TSI is similar technology to the FSI then it will deliver very good fuel economy. I got a spin in a friends 2.0L A4 with FSI. Got 60mpg at around 50mph/80kph which is astounding for a 2 litre petrol!

I think the FSI was normally aspirated very efficient 4 stroke engine - it needed the higher octane unleaded to run.

The TSI uses the two blowers to generate the power of a 1.8 from a 1.4 - no mean achievement - I'm not sure what fuel is required.

I think either engine type is the business in terms of economical 4-stroke power units, but I can only comment from afar asI haven't driven either engine.

My direct experience of Volkswagens has been the normally aspirated Golf 1.4 and the Passat 1.8 petrol models.

ONQ.

I have a 1.4TSI Passat, its a 122bhp engine and is nice to drive and I'd estimate I'm averaging about 40mpg with mixed driving which is ok for a small petrol engine in a large car. Before that I had a 1.4TD4 Corolla and that did over 60mpg over the same routes, my wife has a C'eed 1.6CRDI and that will average about 50mpg with teh same driving as the others. All 3 are good cars but I suppose you cant expect a petrol to be as economical as a diesel, I got over €5k off the new price of the passat as VW were introducing that engine to the passat and discounted it heavily, that more than offsets the price of a few extra L of petrol for me. If you want economy and reliability then look at the Corolla 1.4D4D, good car just not very exciting!

Not in a major panic as such but not sure whether to buy now or wait until the New Year.Would there be better value by waiting til Jan 2010?Kinda looking at a Ford Focus 1.6 diesel but looks like I'll have to go 2006 model.Kia Cee'd 1.6 diesel looks interesting.Anyone have any experience of them?

For what it's worth the Kia Cee'd is a decent car with an exceptional 5 year guarantee. I know 2 individuals that have the Kia diesel hatchback and the estate versions and both have been running sweetly since they bought them. The Ford is a better drivers car but only has a 2 year guarantee.

If you can buy a 1 year old low mileage Kia that has taken the depreciation hit all the bett IMO

Hi guys.

Have been offered €11,600 for my 07 Sportline Golf(private sale) and have my eye on a 07 Kia Ceed 1.6 crdi,with 18000 miles on clock,still nearly 5 years warranty left.Its about €11k.Would this be a good or bad move??

just to go back to the beginning OP, just how many miles will you be doing, and for how long a period?

I imagine if its mainly motorway miles, you'll get 43-46mpg from the golf; versus perhaps 50-55mpg from the kia (although someone above said its about 37mpg if you cane it).

Thats not a huge difference in financial terms anually, unless you're doing 20-30k miles per year

there are calculators online to check it out: [broken link removed]

I've entered 45 v 55mpg, allowed for the diff in diesel and petrol pump prices.
over 25k miles per years the difference is only 315e

Only €315???Thought it would be much more than that?
Anyway,I decided to take the €11600 offered for my Golf and am picking up the Kia Ceed tomorrow for €10,500...so I made a wee profit of €1100!Took the Ceed for a test drive,very nippy,handled well.I know I´ll be taking a little drop in terms of style and build quality but I´m not a major car head and it´ll cost me less to run.Plus the remaining 4 years on the warranty is a major plus.I would´ve had to drop to a 06 Focus or C5 with higher mileage than the 07 Ceed,so hopefully all will go well!

Back