Economic costs of eating meat

Part of the problem with carbon dioxide emissions is that they are, for the most part, invisible.

Some advances have been made using non-contact techniques for CO2 monitoring using thermal or optical gas imaging cameras.

The extent of CO2 emissions might be more meaningful to people if they could see them and might be a better catalyst for change.

Are they used in Ireland?

I'd be thinking the reverse of the OP's thread title The Economic Cost of NOT Eating Meat.

Here's a quote from the Leap Project's website -

"However, livestock provides largescale employment and the trade in livestock and related food products is a core component of the economy of many countries."

It's good to have debates about measures to reduce CO2 emissions but it's also good to examine the negatives of any measures.
Larry Goodman is only trotting after you!

Next we should consider the negative economic impacts of universal suffrage, eliminating child labour, and ending slavery.

Larry Goodman is only trotting after you!

Next we should consider the negative economic impacts of universal suffrage, eliminating child labour, and ending slavery.

Thanks for the compliment Arbitron!

I did give up the meat for a while, but not for the environmental or economic benefits.
I did notice it had an unexpected economic benefit to me as meat is quite expensive. I did eat a lot of fish instead.
And loads of peas and beans. I was generating more green house gas than 10 cows.

I remain skeptical Leo as even your links confirm that what was built in 1983 only lasted 11 years before being dismantled! So really we're talking about a technology that is around 15 years old, not 40+.
Well that that's just one example and the first of many built by that company, and the report I linked was one of a number. This one focusing on sheep grazed solar farms might be more applicable in an Irish context.

There's no doubt though that PV technology has moved on significantly over the years though, and recent developments in efficiency with perovskite cells is another huge leap forward.

But I thought your concern wasn't the technology but the ability of grass or other plants to survive under the panels in a solar farm. The scientific understanding of plant growth has been well established since long before solar farms. Unless you think these create a different type of shade than has ever existed before, I'm struggling to see what's new here in that respect.

Part of the problem with carbon dioxide emissions is that they are, for the most part, invisible.
Well, CO2 is always invisible.
The extent of CO2 emissions might be more meaningful to people if they could see them and might be a better catalyst for change.

Are they used in Ireland?
CO2 monitors are widely available, but they tell a very localised story. One or even a few CO2 sensors wouldn't be an effective way of measuring your impact.

Thanks for your reply @Leo.

I was enquiring about the use of thermal and optical gas imaging cameras.

I understand the UK will - or has partly done already- launch a satellite galaxy fitted with such cameras that will monitor CO2 emissions from whole cities even countries.

Reactions: Leo
Thanks for your reply @Leo.

I was enquiring about the use of thermal and optical gas imaging cameras.

I understand the UK will - or has partly done already- launch a satellite galaxy fitted with such cameras that will monitor CO2 emissions from whole cities even countries.
These guys are working on it.

These guys are working on it.
Yes I think that is the way monitoring is going. As mentioned the UK but also other EU countries are starting to develop the same technology and using drones, planes & satellites.

It provides better focus.

I don't know whether Ireland is developing this kind of technology.

What percentage of global emissions does Irish agriculture account for ?
It is impossible to know because of significant under-reporting by super-emitters.

See this video, which shows under-reporting of methane emissions in the Permian basin, the largest oilfield in the US.

If under-reporting is happening there …

Back