EBS 9 month fixed term account 3.5%

Hi guys,
Could I get some clarification about the EBS account re. post above, Is it possible for existing account holder to lodge 40 grand to open one of these accounts?
I thought I read somewhere that INBS were going to match the interest rate offered by EBS? Whats involved if I am right in restating this?
N.D.,
Fi.

Last edited:
My understanding is that this rate is for "new" customers. I have €20k with EBS but they said that if I add another €20k to it they will give me 3.5% on the whole amount. Otherwise others have suggested that you withdraw your money from EBS, then go back in a few days later with it as a "new" customer. But you only have till Friday to open one of these accounts.

Quote from EBS head office which clarifiys that the rate of 3.5% is not given on the original sum invested afer 9 months.

"If you invested €100,000 in the 9 month account the return would be €1,968
approximately. After the 9 months the interest will be credited to the
account. Please note this rate finishes on Saturday 27 February".

It turns out that when you do the calculations you are getting a rate of approximately 2.6% interest for the 9 month term before DIRT is deducted.

The rate of 3.52% is the AER(annual equivalent rate) only.
Hope this helps clarify the real situation out there.

Quote from EBS head office which clarifiys that the rate of 3.5% is not given on the original sum invested afer 9 months.

"If you invested €100,000 in the 9 month account the return would be €1,968
approximately. After the 9 months the interest will be credited to the
account. Please note this rate finishes on Saturday 27 February".

It turns out that when you do the calculations you are getting a rate of approximately 2.6% interest for the 9 month term before DIRT is deducted.

The rate of 3.52% is the AER(annual equivalent rate) only.
Hope this helps clarify the real situation out there.

Agreed........ BUT an AER of 3.52% is among the best buys at the moment.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the follow up. I don't really understand the AER* & its equivalent term, I tend to follow what ye talk about/ suggest. I was going to see if I could apply for this 9mth account but now I am not too sure even if its worth it. Would I not be better with Investec/ Nationwide Ireland (waiting to see what the government bond is offering). Of the above which is offering the best AER?

N.D.,
Fi
*I think AER means the actual rate of interest you get

I don't quite understand Hopalong's post. If you invest the proceeds of your 9 month deposit, for a further 3 months at 3.5% ( hypothetical, but may exist in Nov) the interest over the 12 months is 3.52%, as EBS claims. It's up to you what to do with the money in those final 3 months.
If the interest over 9 months was 3.5% gross, the AER would end up around 4.52%.

AER is not the rate that you get. AER is the gross annualised rate before DIRT.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_equivalent_rate

(AER is ...) The effective interest rate, effective annual interest rate, annual equivalent rate (AER) or simply effective rate is the interest rate on a loan or financial product restated from the nominal interest rate as an interest rate with annual compound interest payable in arrears.[1] It is used to compare the annual interest between loans with different compounding terms (daily, monthly, annually, or other).

hey all... rang EBS there and was told this is being extended until next friday

Thanks for the information Johnm.

I will wait until EBS confirm the extension before updating the best buys.

hey all... rang EBS there and was told this is being extended until next friday

I just got confirmation from EBS that the rate is extended until Saturday March 6th 2010.

Thanks for the information, the best buys are updated

EBS: Fixed Save
9 months 3.52% ** Best Under 1 year Term Deposit Rate**
Note 1: Minimum €20,000
Note 2: The above rate ends on March 6th 2010.
Note 3: The above rate is for 'new deposits only'. Existing EBS customers can get around this requirement by withdrawing EBS deposits and re-depositing it as a 'new deposit'.

Back