EBS 9 month fixed term account 3.5%

oldtimer

Sunday Independent has advertisement to-day for above product. Not on the EBS website. Attractive enough for Best Buys.

Thanks Oldtimer.

I noticed an ad for this product in the Sunday Business Post also today.

I will update the best buys.

I have an EBS account which has just matured and wanted to put it into this 9 month fixed term account but was told that I would get 3% and that the 3.5% rate was just for "new" customers. Does this seem fair?

No, it's not fair. My 5 month account matured last week. I moved the proceeds into another bank. When I saw the 9 month offer this week, I withdrew funds from another bank to invest, and this was accepted as "new" money. Play them at their own game. You have time to disinvest and re-invest before 28th Feb.

Ulster, EBS and others play the new customer game. They are offering the high rates to increase their deposit base, and the rates are hence not for their existing customers.

If you kick up a big enough fuss or, as suggested above, withdraw and re-lodge then you should get the high rate.

The EBS rate ends February 28th 2010.

Ulster, EBS and others play the new customer game. They are offering the high rates to increase their deposit base, and the rates are hence not for their existing customers.

If you kick up a big enough fuss or, as suggested above, withdraw and re-lodge then you should get the high rate.

The EBS rate ends February 28th 2010.

I am interested in this but while I don't have any savings account with them just a current Instant Access account will they accept me as a new customer for this?

Rate available for new money only.

Define that!

Isnt this just the way of the world nowadays? Banks seem to be the last to catch on to the whole "new" and "existing" customer thing.
From Sky offering free Sky+ boxes to new custom, Vodafone offering 10% discount to switch from Eircom (they sent me a letter), Chorus NTL will give you 2 free months telly, existing customers dont get these offers, but seem to accept that thats howe some firms do business.

Curious but how does the 3% rate EBS offer for 9 months on existing money compare, it seems competitive enough, I saw PTSB were only offering 2.70% for 9 months on their web.

Latest update. The EBS branch manager contacted head office on my account and they said that if I add another €20k to the existing €20k, I will get 3.5% on the whole amount for 9 months!

Pity halifax going as they didnt seem to have these bottlenecks.. no problem closing one flexi saver and transferring monies over to new one. Will miss them. In current climate banks will lose customers as people will move money time and time again in order to get best interest possible.

Is this rate for 9 months or is it an annual rate?

That is, do you really get 3.5% or 2.625% after the 9 months?

My TSB 100 day offer ends next week, so EBS I am on the way.

And as another poster mentioned I will be moving accounts more often than I would have in the past.

[broken link removed]

I'm confused, so what is the true AER on this, is it 3.52% as stated above.

Pity halifax going as they didnt seem to have these bottlenecks.. no problem closing one flexi saver and transferring monies over to new one. Will miss them. In current climate banks will lose customers as people will move money time and time again in order to get best interest possible.

As long as I get a half decent rate on my funds Im happy, honestly I value my time better then analysing every rate and work out the pennies in the difference and going through the hassle of opening new accounts time and time again so I can earn a tiny little bit more on my savings, maybe its just me...

As long as I get a half decent rate on my funds Im happy, honestly I value my time better then analysing every rate and work out the pennies in the difference and going through the hassle of opening new accounts time and time again so I can earn a tiny little bit more on my savings, maybe its just me...

Thats your choice and possibly that of many others.. But as many have huge debts they will try to make their money work for them and if they need to move accounts to gain the pennies then I think they will do that. (in case of halifax, closing and reopening flexi saver resulted in 1.75% increase so worth collecting, IMO).

Btw.. what savings accounts have you at moment?

My TSB 100 day offer ends next week, so EBS I am on the way.

And as another poster mentioned I will be moving accounts more often than I would have in the past.

Is the [broken link removed] for anything over €10,000 of any use?

Sue - The PTSB 11 month term deposit AER is 3.35%, not 3.50%. .

Hi Fungus, Sorry missed that alright. The eyesight ain't what it used to be.

Obviously its dependant on the amounts involved but would have to agree with Bobby1 here because if you already have the account set up with TSB is it worth the hassle to have the bother of a new ac with whoever and have to produce ID, copies of recent bills etc. for the .15% less DIRT difference.

Hi Sue,

I know what your saying, its not even the .15% that will make me change, more the principal really, and their branch is easier to access, plus eleven months will push me past Xmas :)

If they see funds moving from the bank they may not be so quick to keep dropping their rates month on month.

It's like the petrol prices, a topaz close to me was 125.9 and a mile further away was 120.9 for an independent supplier, again if they see their turnover dropping then their pricing is wrong and I cant abide a rip-off.

Well said TonyD, it is only consumers who act against consumer inertia that force banks to be competitive.

Back