eBay seller wants me to close dispute before refund

zoe

I purchased an item on eBay from a seller in another European country and when I received it there was damage to the item which had not been mentioned. I sent a message to the seller and received no reply, so after waiting for a week I opened a PayPal dispute.

The seller then stated that he would refund EU5.00 but I said I'd prefer to return the item so refund offer was upped by seller to EU10.00 and I said I'd accept it.

All this is recorded in the PayPal dispute form, still open, which I have not as yet escalated to a claim.

So I wait a week and hear nothing from seller. I send him a message and he states on the PayPal dispute form I have to close the case before he can transfer the EU10.00 refund.

Is this correct or incorrect? I would have thought he should transfer the refund as he stated and is recorded on the PayPal dispute form before I close the case.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Don't close the dispute, once you close it, you cannot reopen it or a new one on the same sale.

I had this once, when a seller asked me to close the dispute and then we could resolve it between ourselves and once I did, they just kept quite. Ebay said once I closed the dispute I couldn't open it. Therefore, first get your money from them and then close.

Update on what happened after I escalated it to a claim.

Seller did not make any comments in the online claim form, so after 10 days PayPal closed it and I received no partial refund.

Seller did not make any comments in the online claim form, so after 10 days PayPal closed it and I received no partial refund.

so you got nothing? or a full refund?

What reason did Paypal give for closing it?

They simply state, "After careful consideration, we're unable to decide this claim in your favour at this time."

From my experience using the Paypal dispute procedure, they seem to only do something when the goods are not actually delivered to you. I had a recent problem with goods delivered to me and I got the exact same response from paypal.

Back