Ebay banning bad feedback

car

This is just an FYI...
"Beginning in May, sellers will not be able to leave negative or even neutral comments about their customers, only positive feedback, said an eBay spokesman. "

Details here on [broken link removed]

Sellers should leave feedback for buyers once they've received payment. At that point the buyer has upheld their end of the deal.

Instead sellers hold the retaliatory -ive feedback sword of damocles over the buyers heads until they receive +ive feedback.

I normally have a good look at the feedback for a seller before buying something, and if i see them leaving retaliatory -ives, I don't buy from them.

From my experiences on ebay you can't trust it. They don't really have any interest in sorting out disputes.

Agree that there are alot of sharp operators on eBay, and that feedback has to be "filtered". I usually read a page or 2 of the comments rather than just look at the score. That's where you see for example that a seller is really in Hong Kong, even though the listing says shipping from the UK (not necessarily a problem though).
The transaction isn't completed though when the buyer pays. If they have a problem they should give the seller an opportunity to resolve it, rather than hitting them with -ve feedback immediately.

Agree that there are alot of sharp operators on eBay, and that feedback has to be "filtered". I usually read a page or 2 of the comments rather than just look at the score. That's where you see for example that a seller is really in Hong Kong, even though the listing says shipping from the UK (not necessarily a problem though).
The transaction isn't completed though when the buyer pays. If they have a problem they should give the seller an opportunity to resolve it, rather than hitting them with -ve feedback immediately.

Yea I came across that, not that it mattered (It was only a USB printer cable and I saved €13.00 rather than give it to Dell) with certain power sellers they filtered them out -

As a previosu poster said, there should not be a problem, you have paid for the goods, so there cannot be any further judgement made towards the buyer.

As a previosu poster said, there should not be a problem, you have paid for the goods, so there cannot be any further judgement made towards the buyer.

Im not sure if I fully agree with this statement. Yes, the buyer pays and one would imagine that thats the end of the buyers part in the deal. However some buyers kick up an awful fuss after they receive the item because it wasnt what they had expected (they didnt read the dimensions or otherwise misunderstood the posting) - Ive seen feedback where buyers have been nasty over what to me seemed like an obvious misunderstanding on the part of the buyer and in that situation then the seller should be allowed to leave feedback for the buyer saying 'beware - this person buys without reading ad correctly then leaves bad feedback even though item was as described'.

Im not sure if I fully agree with this statement. Yes, the buyer pays and one would imagine that thats the end of the buyers part in the deal. However some buyers kick up an awful fuss after they receive the item because it wasnt what they had expected (they didnt read the dimensions or otherwise misunderstood the posting) - Ive seen feedback where buyers have been nasty over what to me seemed like an obvious misunderstanding on the part of the buyer and in that situation then the seller should be allowed to leave feedback for the buyer saying 'beware - this person buys without reading ad correctly then leaves bad feedback even though item was as described'.

in the interest of balance - misrepresentation of an item being sold is much more of an issue that a buyer misinterpreting the description.

But the article is in relation to sellers, not buyers.

But the article is in relation to sellers, not buyers.

Yes, and that is my point - I do think a SELLER should be entitled to leave bad feedback for a buyer who has tarnished the SELLERS reputation when the buyer was the one who misunderstood the posting. Preventing sellers leaving anything but positive feedback means that they cannot report buyers who are taking the proverbial even if the seller wasnt at fault. I appreciate that a seller can respond to bad feedback and although that is enough to protect an individual sellers reputation it would not 'alert' other sellers to a nasty buyer as all the buyers feedback would be positive under new rules no matter how they behaved.

And I agree with rmelly - misrepresentation IS much more of an issue than misunderstanding on the part of the buyer. However it can happen from time to time that a buyer is an idiot and if ebay disallow a seller from leaving bad feedback for a buyer then you could in theory have buyers who hold the negative feedback axe over sellers heads knowing that the sellers cannot ruin the buyers feedback.

If they have a problem they should give the seller an opportunity to resolve it, rather than hitting them with -ve feedback immediately.

I'm in a situation at the moment whereby the item I purchased (mobile phone accessory) is more than likely a counterfeit item. The look and feel are wrong and some of the items which are normally logoed are not.

First instinct was to leave negative feedback but I mailed the seller twice and no response yet. I know they've been online as they left feedback as recently as this morning. Have now escalated it to a paypal dispute and the seller isn't responding to messages there either.

If I go ahead and leave negative feedback suggesting that the item is not genuine then I'm fulling expecting the seller to leave negative for me. I paid within 10 mins of the auction ending and have 100% positive feedback after 5 years on ebay. Don't want to ruin that now.

I paid within 10 mins of the auction ending and have 100% positive feedback after 5 years on ebay. Don't want to ruin that now.

Do you as buyer have the option to respond to negative feedback left for you - if you can you can always respond saying item was counterfeit?

I am not sure of this information on banning bad feedback. It could be a grapevine. However, it is high time people watch the way thing a being bought on ebay. Cavet emptor i.e. buyers beware.

I am yet to see someone who can vividly confirm that resolution are sort to favour buyer who already paid to paypal for a product with emernating problem.

Again, it good if issues are unresolved as money can be utilise by paypal pending resolution.

I am a circumstial of misrepresentation on e bay. Cautioned e bay to desuade people selling fictitious items and saying 100% legal when e bay knew its a fradulent activities and allowed such act to continue based on their commision.

I have not seen any legality behind 7 days guaranttee put up on e bay when returning an item not meeting demand and aspiration of buyers. If you are sure of what you are selling while not give 12months return policy.
7 DAYS AS DESCRIBED WHEN DOES THE DAY START TO COUNT. At despatch, when postman drop slip for collection or when you are in poccession of the physical good. WHEN?

Colleagues there a lot of issues to talk about on e bay, we talk about it later. I have to go.

I am not sure of this information on banning bad feedback. It could be a grapevine. However, it is high time people watch the way thing a being bought on ebay. Cavet emptor i.e. buyers beware.

I am yet to see someone who can vividly confirm that resolution are sort to favour buyer who already paid to paypal for a product with emernating problem.

Again, it good if issues are unresolved as money can be utilise by paypal pending resolution.

I am a circumstial of misrepresentation on e bay. Cautioned e bay to desuade people selling fictitious items and saying 100% legal when e bay knew its a fradulent activities and allowed such act to continue based on their commision.

I have not seen any legality behind 7 days guaranttee put up on e bay when returning an item not meeting demand and aspiration of buyers. If you are sure of what you are selling while not give 12months return policy.
7 DAYS AS DESCRIBED WHEN DOES THE DAY START TO COUNT. At despatch, when postman drop slip for collection or when you are in poccession of the physical good. WHEN?

Colleagues there a lot of issues to talk about on e bay, we talk about it later. I have to go.

I am not sure of this information on banning bad feedback. It could be a grapevine.

It was reported on the RTE website yesterday, and I believe it came from an Ebay press release, so I think we can assume it is true.

The worst part of their service is their disputes.

I bought an item which turned out to be a fake.

Ebay referred me to Paypal. Paypal refused to refund my money as I had received *something*.

A chargeback sorted it out...

I think ebay are right to ban sellers feedback. i had awful hassle over something i bought a while ago. 5 months later and after several really abusive replies from the seller, i eventually got my order. i left slightly negative feedback. the following day i found that he had really slated me by leaving really bad feedback about me.
before a buyer had to leave feedback first. if the feedback was bad then the seller usually leaves the worst feedback imaginable, even though it could be entirely his fault

My experiences have been similar to the above. Fine when it all works. If theres a problem you are on your own.

I have experienced that alot of sellers wait for the buyer to leave feedback first before they leave theirs. There is no doubt that this is to make sure that they get positive feedback. About time ebay did something to change this.

Hi Flex
Sorry you need to make it clear how the problem was sorted out. "a charge back sorted it out" a lot of e bayers needed this option as myself. I have return the item to the seller needed refund but paypal telling me only seller can ask them to refund my money.
Help needed quickly please.
Thanking you in anticipation.

NB
I have confirmed that e bay have started the issue of not allowing buyers to leave negative feedback for seller of bad or fake item. It happened to myself.
High time people stop using this site, or cavet emptor-buyer beware. If i won an item and seller is not able to confirm 12 months return or refund i am not going to pay for such item. Let e bay put it on alert or whatever, pls don't care. A word is enough pls.

Last edited:
I think Ebay in generally works well but the system is open to abuse. have to admit in the past i have been reluctant to leave negative feedback about sellers in the knowledge that they would probably retaliate

Back