East and West Clare

larbar

Hi,
I hope I am not breaking any guidelines by asking this question here.We are hoping to move to Clare this year and although I have done a lot of research,visiting etc,there is nothing like local knowledge and so would ask if anyone living there has suggestions as to where they would recommend.We are sort of torn between Miltown Malbay on the West side but hear it has a bit of criminal element going on(not sure if that is true) and maybe Corofin,Feakle or Tulla on East side.All suggestions and comments appreciated

Why are you coming down here? Are you retiring?
West and north Clare is nice in the summer but can be bleak and lonely in the winter months.
Tell us a little more about what you want from your new home..

Thanks Jetblue.Loneliness is not really an issue. I don't suffer from it as I am quite happy in my own company whilst at the same time I am not anti- social.Nor indeed is the weather as I go out when it's fine and stay in when the weather is really bad.To answer your question,yes,both my wife and I are taking early retirement for various reasons and are looking to live a life away from estates,traffic hustle and bustle etc.I have visited and stayed in Clare many times over the last twenty or more years, so am happy with our choice of destination but would love an insider's view.I know for example that even within my own area here in Dublin there are places that are, shall we say, nicer than others but you wouldn't know that unless you lived here.

Larbar, Miltown Malbay or Spanish Point really nice places to retire, I grew up around there and still spend alot of time there. The criminality element is no less or no more than any place else I guess. Good Luck with your search.

Thanks cashier.Yes, the proximity to a hospital is a relevant factor but I suppose it's trying to find a balance between being sensible on that regard and not being too negative in thinking that we will need a hospital on a regular basis.
Thanks Brighid.I only heard the other day that there was some dodgy stuff going on and couldn't believe it but my first thoughts were as you say,no more or less that anywhere else and certainly nothing like parts of Dublin,not a million miles from where I live

Hi larbar. As you probably know Ennis has the best facilities(medical,entertainment,shopping,sporting) in Clare, the closer you are to Ennis the closer you are to these facilities.
How about renting for a while, there should be loads of available properties to rent all over Clare.
From a personal point of view as a Clareperson, I think access to the sea is one of the great advantages of living in Clare. I would love to have a view of the sea from my house.
I can't comment on the crime levels of Milltown or any other part of Clare but perhaps a phone call to one of the community liason guards at Ennis Garda barracks might elicit some more info. Personally again I have never been the victim of any crime while living down here.
Wherever you choose I hope that you are made welcome and that ye both enjoy the gentle pace of life here.
JB

Back