Eamon Horan on RTE Sport

pnh

what is it with this chap that he cannot get the name Sam Allardyce correct.On yesterdays evening news he insisted several times in calling him Alderdyce-not for the first time either-Ive heard him do it before.If he does happen to get the Irish job I wonder will he get it right then.I just find it irritating and sloppy.

Particularly when (I sensed on purpose) the two people he was speaking to on the phone repeated the correct Allardyce each time they answered a question.

Thats like when Pat Kenny had Gerry Seinfeld on the Late Late Toy Show and was referring to him as Gerry Seinfield. Cringe.

LOL - Niallman ye spanner!! Rule number 1 when slagging off others about getting their facts wrong ... make sure you have them right yerself!! ;)

Also Ciaran Mulooley - "Crow" Park
Matt Cooper - "Sah-her-day" which is the one pronounciation he's taken from the Offaly dialect.

Also, is it just me or it the punctuation of most newsreaders/sports guys very poor. They pause and mince sentences together so that you have to figure out the meaning of what they are saying.

Cant think of examples off hand but might come back with some.

well just warming to the theme-Bryan Dobson just informed us on the news that "thousands of young Scientists were on ....tenderhooks.

Newstalk people are terrible for saying "said to" when they actually mean "set to" - e.g. "Bohs are set to sign Jason Byrne on a three year contract today".

Newstalk people are terrible for saying "said to" when they actually mean "set to" - e.g. "Bohs are set to sign Jason Byrne on a three year contract today".

I reckon both are correct, (even if "said to" is not great English). Doesn't it mean the same as "rumoured to" ?

I reckon both are correct, (even if "said to" is not great English). Doesn't it mean the same as "rumoured to" ?
They say it when something is about to happen. Not when it is something that is rumoured. It's definitely wrong in context even if it may look correct written down in isolation. I don't think that "Bohs are said to sign ..." is correct. "Bohs are said to be signing ..." maybe.

LOL - Niallman ye spanner!! Rule number 1 when slagging off others about getting their facts wrong ... make sure you have them right yerself!! ;)

Dang! :eek: Should've been Jerry of course. Reckon thats a temporary ban on slagging for me!

Back