E6.75 for a glass of wine. Rip off?

I go to London a fair bit on business and the pub we go to there charges £4.50 or £5.50 (E6.50/E8) per glass depending on which of their wines you pick (choice of 4 in each of red and white which is an improvement on the white plonk/red plonk choice you get in a lot of places).

No, it seems to be standard in hotels. I paid €8.50 for a glass of white wine and diet coke in Galway. I have also paid a similar amount at another hotel.I was mighty glad to get it as well I might add. You expect to pay for this at a hotel, after all they have to pay for staff to serve, and you will be enjoying it in nice surroundings. I would not be happy to get a cheap glass of wine at a good hotel.Where's the point in going out? buy in a bottle instead. They have overheads to pay.

there's only 23c difference tax on a bottle of red wine between the republic and Uk.in Cahirs post. not in the final price obviously, judging by the number shopping in newry already. pretty mean glasses if you got 6 out of a bottle. 5 decent ones.

Yes, but at the end of the day what you personally are paying is much more expensive for exactly the same product!
Whether the money is going to excise duty or mark-up in restaurants - the end result is that the product is (very much) more expensive, which is why I couldnt enjoy it the same way.
That's a meaningless comparison. A meal in a restaurant in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania is cheaper than a meal in a restaurant in Geneva, so what? What matters is relatively how much of our disposable income does it cost.
The glass of wine in Spain may still be cheaper in real terms but a direct price comparison tells us nothing.

That's a meaningless comparison. A meal in a restaurant in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania is cheaper than a meal in a restaurant in Geneva, so what? What matters is relatively how much of our disposable income does it cost.
The glass of wine in Spain may still be cheaper in real terms but a direct price comparison tells us nothing.

Its your comparison which is absolutely meaningless.
The meal in Dar Es Salaam is not going to be exactly the same product as a meal in Geneva, obviously.
But a glass of wine , for example, 'Cune' is the exact same product whether it is in Spain or Ireland. Obviously there are shipping, excise costs etc, but for it to be 4 time the price in Ireland, does not denote good value to me.

The meal in Dar Es Salaam is not going to be exactly the same product as a meal in Geneva, obviously.
But a glass of wine , for example, 'Cune' is the exact same product whether it is in Spain or Ireland. Obviously there are shipping, excise costs etc, but for it to be 4 time the price in Ireland, does not denote good value to me.

and the restaurant and wine shop in Ireland needs to pay rent, insurance, wages etc that are higher here than in Spain. And if they make a good margin on the prodcut after all those things by selling it at a price that someone is willing to pay, then good luck to them

I have has top class meals in Dar Es Salaam, although I have never been to Geneva. The point is that the selling price of the wine has to cover the overheads of the Hotel. If labour, rent, utilities, insurance etc is half the price in Spain then the multiple that the hotel in Ireland has to sell the glass of wine for a higher price. That’s not a rip-off it’s just a higher cost base economy. People who make comparisons like this do not understand business.

I'm talking about percieved value - even though there are obviously other costs incurred with regard to buying a glass of wine in Ireland and the same glass of wine in spain - if I'm paying 4 times the price for the exact same product, it doesnt seem good value to me, thats all.

Also, even worse value when the identical bottle of wine is 3 times more expensive in an off-licence in Ireland than in an off-licence in spain.

I understand why you don't like the word, you want everyone to stick to one narrow meaning.
There seems little profit in arguing this one daltonr. You'll just have to accept that periodically some newbie will come trip-trapping their way onto AAM and unwittingly use the slang term 'rip-off' to describe perceived excessive pricing, said newbie will inevitably receive a pedantic lesson in the use of Queens English.

I go to London a fair bit on business and the pub we go to there charges £4.50 or £5.50 (E6.50/E8) per glass depending on which of their wines you pick (choice of 4 in each of red and white which is an improvement on the white plonk/red plonk choice you get in a lot of places).
I was in London in August and we went into a pub/restraunt for lunch in Serbiton. A glass of wine was £4.50 and if you bought two you could finish the bottle. It was a bit early in day for me to take them up on this offer.

You'll just have to accept that periodically some newbie will come trip-trapping their way onto AAM and unwittingly use the slang term 'rip-off' to describe perceived excessive pricing,

Well it's official. 'Family Guy' used the term Ripoff to describe excessive pricing. And there is no higher authority than that.
-Episode: 8 Rules for buying my teenage daughter.

Finally an end to the nonsense.

-Rd

Well it's official. 'Family Guy' used the term Ripoff to describe excessive pricing. And there is no higher authority than that.
-Episode: 8 Rules for buying my teenage daughter.

Finally an end to the nonsense.

-Rd

I agree. Why didn't you clear this up earlier?

I agree. Why didn't you clear this up earlier?

I'm sorry, I only saw the episode last night. All hail Netflix.com
Funnily enough in the commentary the writers etc, made no mention of their controvercial stance on the issue.

-Rd

Did a bit of a pub crawl in Kilcock last week and visited three (there are five in the town) and the difference in the price of a round of three drinks was amazing concerning one particular place.
Our first place charged 10euro for a pint of guinness. coca cola. small bottle red wine. Very nice pub with a couple of wide screens to watch the football
Next pub the same drinks cost 11.40 and the place was not as comfortable as the previous one and had very few people in it and no atmosphere (and no wonder)
The third one charged 10.15 and it has a very friendly/local atmosphere and very comfortable seating arrangements.

Some publicans are just pure greedy.

On this morning's Metro the food critic visited the Herbert Park Hotel where he was charged 6.50 for a pot of tea....would have expected breakfast for that!
Firefly.

Back