Dyson after sales service

CadetStimpy

Hello,

Just thought I'd share my positive experiences with Dyson's after sales service...

I bought a Dyson DC05 vaccuum cleaner about 4 years ago and it never gave us any problems until a few weeks back when it gave up the ghost in a puff of black smoke. Blown motor methinks.

I got the number for Dyson (01-475-7109) from my local retailer and called them to find out how much it would cost to get the vaccuum cleaner fixed - I'd expected that it would probably cheaper to buy a new one as it was out of warranty.

As it happens they a fixed price for repairs. For a total price of €90 an engineer will come out and replace whatever needs fixed. All new parts are then covered by a 12month warranty.

The engineer came out within 4 days, replaced the motor, the power cable and the filter. He ordered a new hose and new cleaning head (which arrived in the post a week later) - all for €90. The engineer told me that the prices had only been increased at the start of 2008 - previously it was €75 for the same service.

Pretty good deal, eh?

p.s. I have no connections with Dyson...

Pretty good deal, eh?
Depends on what way you look at it. We have some cheapo make of vacuum cleaner that we bought years ago, which gets a lot of use and has never given us any problems unlike the many Dyson owners that I know who all seem to have had problems with their machines within a few years of buying them. So they pay top dollar for their machines and then have to pay for repairs a while later. Not a great deal in my view. You can get a cheapo but effective vacuum cleaner for less than €90.

Depends on what way you look at it. We have some cheapo make of vacuum cleaner that we bought years ago, which gets a lot of use and has never given us any problems unlike the many Dyson owners that I know who all seem to have had problems with their machines within a few years of buying them. So they pay top dollar for their machines and then have to pay for repairs a while later. Not a great deal in my view. You can get a cheapo but effective vacuum cleaner for less than €90.

I take your point Clubman, there are certainly cheaper vacuum cleaners around :)

While I'm personally not a fan of Dyson, their current vacs all come with 5 year warranty, which isn't too bad.

We own a Dyson for a number of years. There are 2 internal filters which need to be cleaned regularly. If this is not done the machine suction drops to the point of being useless. I'm guessing some of the Dyson "knockers" might not be cleaning these filters.

My wife and I bought a cylinder Dyson with some of our wedding money over 4 years ago - I think it was on special in Tesco's (in Watford) for about £140. It hasn't given us any bother since then at all. My parents have a cylinder Dyson that they bought around the time that they first came out (circa 8 years?) and that still works perfectly.

Therefore these two personal example conclusively prove that Dysons are 100% reliable. ;)

I find Dyson fantastic. We cracked one of the handles and Dyson replaced it without fuss even though we were outside warranty. They said it was because we had never claimed within warranty. Fair enough.

But yes, you must clean the filter (the spongy blue one) every 6 months or so to keep suction perfect. And dont vacuum any ash from fireplaces or it blocks the filters.

They also don't like cement dust. We had to wash the filters after every vacuum when the builders were in.

I LOVE my dyson!! Although I think I should be getting some sort of referral reward - since both of my sisters and two friends have all purchased Dysons..

we have one of those Dyson DC05's and I have to say its the biggest piece of excrement that ever crossed my front door.

everything that could have broken has broken.

and for the money its not worth it.

Now I have to admit I never pick up the vacuum cleaner that often but my wife had been patching it together for the last few years and said nothing.

But when I took it out last weekend I nearly lost the head at the state of it.

Why bother with an expensive Dyson. Four years ago I bought a cheepy from Lidl. Cost me just under 40 euro, with Guarantee for 3 years. Then the motor burnt out. I found their service guy in Dublin and asked what a new motor would cost. He was upset to know that the unit had broken down and asked me to parcel it up. A private delivery crowd picked it up the same day and the next day a brand new one arrived free of charge. When I phoned the service guy to thank him he said he was sorry that he could not supply the same colour. I have no connection with Lidl but cannot fault their service.

..Therefore these two personal example conclusively prove that Dysons are 100% reliable... ;)

Ehh, no. It just proves that those two haven't broken down. Statistically it proves nothing about the reliabilty of Dysons.

Its rather like saying that my two children don't drink, smoke tobacco or use other drugs therefore this proves conclusively that other parents children don't either.

Back