DVD only play on Region 1 or multi-region DVD players?

Abbica

Hi,
I am buying some dvd's online for xmas presents and it states the above. I don't know what dvd player they have but I presume it is standard shop bought whatever type that is. Would region 1/multi-region dvd's play on their dvd or is not worth the risk?.

Hi, Region 1 would be for use in the USA, multi-region or region free normally work in all dvd players. Region 2 would be whats commonly used in Ireland/Europe. I have bought region free dvds and had no problems using them in a standard dvd player here.

So...it states region 1 or multi-player use only (this is mentioned quite a bit for dvd's on sale). I take it then from what you have all said that they will work as it says multi-player but if it states only region 1 use, don't buy it as it may not work on their machine?

you can unlock your DVD player itself to play DVDs from different regions, or just set DVD player to "region free" - I have done this with older type DVD players in the past. Any new DVD players would / should be region free...

I think the reference to "multi-region" in the advert refers to the DVD player, not the DVD itself.

Whether the DVD works or not will all depend on the type of player the recipients have.

Some DVD players can play DVDs from any region, others can only pay DVDs from the same region that the player was bought (e.g. DVD players bought in Europe will be set to region 2). Some DVD players set to a specific region can be "hacked" to make them multi-region.

Before being sure that the gift can be used, you really need to know what type of DVD player they have.

Last edited:
Ugh, I just wont get the DVD's that say region 1, just stick with region 2 or multi-player. It's a surprise boxset she would love, so I can't ask as I am not technically savvy at all, so me asking regions etc would definitely raise more than 2 eyebrows!!
Thanks for clarifying everything for me.

Music DVDs tend to be region 0 discs so the same version can be sold worldwide.

I've never seen a movie/tv series DVD for region 0.

Ugh, I just wont get the DVD's that say region 1, just stick with region 2 or multi-player. It's a surprise boxset she would love, so I can't ask as I am not technically savvy at all, so me asking regions etc would definitely raise more than 2 eyebrows!!
Thanks for clarifying everything for me.

You might be shopping on US sites. Try the UK ones.

Back