Dunnes Stores. Price increases.

Bronco Lane

I notice that the prices of most of the foodstuffs that we buy in Dunnes Stores has taken another jump in prices.

The 7.5 kilo bag of Rooster potatoes that was costing me €6.50 is now €7.99. (Tesco 7.49).

Once a month we do a "different" shop in Lidl, buying stuff that you can't get in Dunnes/Tesco. I will be doing that today.

Any other noticeable price increases out there?

I'm not a Dunnes shopper, but I've noticed regular increases of 10c or 20c on items in Lidl, baby potatoes being one of the items - currently 1.19.

Recent increases spotted include Soya (up 4c) and Tissues (up 20c).

The biggest cost hit I find is when an own brand product disappears from the shelves and is not adequately replaced - either only branded item stocked or the replacement is poor quality and not worth buying. Have had that happen in Dunnes (and Supervalu) with frozen chicken and elsewhere such as pocket tissues in LIDL.

I shop in Dunnes every week but just the 25 euro to get the 5 off so I limit it to specific products, it's amazing how little you now get for 25! I always liked their mince as you have choice of fat content and I like the size it's ground to, the 5% was particularly nice but it has jumped in price over last few shops so no longer buying it there and going for weekly specials when Lidl/Aldi have it instead. I noticed potatoes were also expensive these days, found best value in local Supervalu which doesn't often happen!

Just on potatoes I think you can expect increases with the price of these across the board as their market price has gone up.

I've noticed (Lidl and Tesco mainly) that some prices came down from their COVID/Ukraine war peaks but then bounced back up a bit (not to the peak) recently. Everything is definitely still a lot more expensive than 2 years ago.

I've noticed (Lidl and Tesco mainly) that some prices came down from their COVID/Ukraine war peaks but then bounced back up a bit (not to the peak) recently. Everything is definitely still a lot more expensive than 2 years ago.
Dairy products went through significant price increases, then dropped back a bit, but I can't see them returning to pre-war baseline.

Dairy products went through significant price increases, then dropped back a bit, but I can't see them returning to pre-war baseline.
+1

Retail prices for most dairy products had barely increased in a decade before 2022. Farmers were long overdue milk price increases but no retailer would act first to hike up staple prices for fear of losing market share. Putin gave them the opportunity to do so.

Cocoa and sugar have both hit record highs, so expect chocolate and related goods to jump in price.

1. A few posters have suggested that targeting specific items in different supermarkets is a prudent exercise.
2. Mrs Lep has informed me shopping for items with a total price of around €25 (using €5 discount voucher) is more prudent than shopping with a total price €50 per shop (using €10 discount voucher). I can see her point, but necessitates two visits rather than one.
3. She uses Aldi too, this week with Christmas cakes/puddings baking items selected. Currents available in Dunnes/SuperValu, not Aldi. Halloween brack in Aldi is reduced to €1.00 (nobody screaming for the ring here for years).
4. All considered, I think a three month stay in Spain for us will pay for itself.

If you only shop in one store, you're going to get hit on the price/availability of some items.
Each of the main supermarkets eg Tesco, Dunnes, Supervalu have different ranges that are competitive \ uncompetitive on. At least in Dunnes it is cushioned by the vouchers.
And LIDL \ ALDI are competitive on what they stock but don't have full range of items you'd need over a quarter, say.

I do main shop in Dunnes now, with occasional trips to LIDL and Tesco for 'ambient' items they have they are much cheaper than Dunnes or not stocked. Plus the occasional LIDL middle aisle offer.

And then for bits and pieces during the week there's a Supervalu in walkable distance.

With our €5 off Dunnes voucher we purchased a kettle in Dunnes that cost €23. So the extra €5 off brought the price down to circa €18. At the checkout, we only had a few items to bring our total spend just over €25. This was one of our targeted spends and worked well.

We find that we are targeting certain items in certain supermarkets when on special offer. So we would buy several of the one item that is on special offer.

Yesterday we did our frivolous monthly spend in Lidl........ Halloween stuff, Sharon fruit, German Marzipan chocolate bars, large tubs of vanilla yogurt, chicken wings, Stir Fry veg, pickled stuff, tins of fish.......mostly stuff that you cannot get in the other supermarkets. Surprised that we ended up spending €75.

Sad really. My share portfolio is down about €2k and I am excited about saving €5 in the supermarket. Fun though.

Don’t be slow for a walk around Dealz, Mr Price and the like. Some items are €2.00 cheaper than the same items in the main supermarkets. I can’t believe I’m posting on supermarket shopping.

Don’t be slow for a walk around Dealz, Mr Price and the like. Some items are €2.00 cheaper than the same items in the main supermarkets. I can’t believe I’m posting on supermarket shopping.
Be careful of Deals etc. The price might be cheaper but many of the products they sell are in quantities unique to them so that the price per gram or litre works out the same or dearer.

Be careful of Deals etc. The price might be cheaper but many of the products they sell are in quantities unique to them so that the price per gram or litre works out the same or dearer.
Ah yes - shrinkflation is yet another thing to be on the alert for! :confused:

I wonder is the Dunnes voucher scheme really cost-saving? I did a fairly careful three-month comparison last summer. While I did find myself getting sucked into the voucher usage, it didn't appear to me to cost any less at all in comparison to a 75% Aldi + 25% Tesco combination. The benefit of the voucher was quickly used up in the purchasing of sparking water (a favourite of ours but cheaper elsewhere). Granted if you were going to be shopping there anyway or if it has particular items that you regularly use, it might be worth it. I think these schemes are usually for the benefit of the shop, not the customer.

3 kit kats, full sized bars, €2 in Mr Price, 2.50 in Dealz, 1.80 for single bar in petrol station shops, mind you I then eat 3 bars as opposed to one!

Just been in Lidl for the few bits I wanted there from their specials this week and note that caster sugar is now 1.95 per kg, that's practically double the price it used to be and the same price as Dunnes, back before it all went mad a kg of sugar was one euro. I have a stash of golden caster sugar that I think Tesco was selling off cheap so that is keeping me going for now.

Not competitive if you do a full shop probably but if stocking up on basics that are same price everywhere, butter/milk/sugar/flour/toilet paper and a good few other things then you may as well have the 5 off 25. I have often just bought a single product for the full 25 if stocking up, did it a while back with butter and it lowered the price per lb to I think 2.38ish from memory rather than the 2.99, stuck it in the freezer then.

I use the Lidl app and you save the 5 off a 20 spend also on the discounts. I spent €16 today and got them for €12 after the Lidl plus scan. You need to do a bit of work though. The biggest problem I have is that they give free treats on Pastry, Chocolate and the dreaded Bickies.

Back