Dunnes stores help hard pressed consumers avoid the "Plastic Bag Tax"

It reminds me a bit of selling bath salts/legal high thing.

How about gin flavour shower gel? - It's not really gin, it's just juniper shower gel with a high alcohol content.

I wonder if this is related to the difference they have with Revenue re the amount they are due to pay for the bag levy collected, as far as I know Revenue base their estimated levy payable on the number of plastic bags Dunnes purchase from their suppliers while Dunnes maintain a portion of the bags are used in Vegetable / Bakery dept's where levy isn't charged and also in NI. If so its quite cynical rather than aiming to help the hard pressed Consumer.

I have about 10, catching up on you ;)

I have 19!

I must say I agree with the plastic bag levy on an environmental level though (says the Imelda Marcos of "long life bags! :D)

The M & S black canvas ones are the best I find.

It seems the charge only applies to bags given away.. if you purchase a bag the charge doesn't apply.

So why don't some shops charge 5c for bags?, and not pay the 15c tax?, that would seem to circumvent the legislation. (These 5c bags would be normal plastic bags, not designed for re-use)

Legislation at
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0605.html

Hmmm, I'm not so sure now.. I think even if you pay for a bag the tax still applies... but if this is the case then why isn't the tax applied on bin liners?

The wording from the act (some detail removed)
3. (1) On and from the 4th day of March 2002 there shall be charged ... a levy ... in respect of the supply to customers.... of plastic bags in or at any shop, supermarket, service station or other sales outlet.

Does the phrase 'supply to customers' indicate that no charge is applied?, or not?

The Joe Duffy Show on RTÉ R1 dealt with this issue in passing yesterday 23rd July.

A lady caller had purchased over €100 worth of groceries. She looked for four or five plastic bags and was told that Dunnes did not do the regular 22c bags any more and that she would have to pay 70c each for the medium duty ones.

She objected to the manager who was pleasant but unable to help.

She left the entire shopping on the belt and went over to Tesco's and did her shop there!

No mention was made of the kileen 20pack bags prominently displayed at all Dunnes Stores checkouts.
What Ive seen in Dunnes is a crate of Killeen small binliners with handles on display in the front of all the checkouts.

I assume you buy a pack, crack it open and then bag your groceries. You pay 99c for the pack of 20 bin liners/ bags. You dont pay the levy and you go home with the 15 or so excess bags.

More fool her, so she spent double the time shopping to 'make a statement'. Ie. Dunnes staff have to put back all her shopping because head office are operating a policy stores can do nothing about. Nice. The key phrase there is 'unable to help'. Exactly. It stems from higher up obviously, individual stores are not personally hiding bags from customers.

I'm with Dunnes on this one. Unless she hasn't shopped in Dunnes in a very long time she would have known they no longer sell the 22c bags. I spend €100+ in Dunnes every week and wouldn't expect to be given reusable bags for free. While I can't speak for the branch the woman was in I know you can't miss the Killeen bags in the branches of Dunnes I use. I would also have been mightily annoyed if I was in the queue behind her and had to wait for the checkout to be cleared. We don't all have the luxury of having enough time to go and start again in Tesco.

Fair play to the woman. If Dunnes stores don't want to supply the 22c plastic bags fine but they should have paper bags, she shouldn't be bullied into buying the dearer option of which Dunnes is making a profit.

Fair play to the woman. If Dunnes stores don't want to supply the 22c plastic bags fine but they should have paper bags, she shouldn't be bullied into buying the dearer option of which Dunnes is making a profit.

Individual stores do not have the option of supplying 22cent bags, they do not have any and won't have any until the dispute is settled. Not only that but here's the new policy- all paper bags currently at tills will be counted tomorrow, ready for scanning (will show up as free) on Monday. Not allowed to give them out for someone for groceries/broken bag/someone wanting a bag/storing hangers. Nothing but for drapery purchases. All of this stuff is not the stores trying to alienate customers, they don't have any choice. Breaking thses policies puts your job on the line.

Just asking the Government to start taxing plastic bin liners.
By the way anyone know where I can get biodegradable bin liners!

She was lucky as my local tesco don't have the plastic bags more often than not. Also the quality is rubbish.

Back