due payment from Social welfare

lab-rat

Hi There,
My sister is co habiting with her partner and has two small children. She received a payment, the dole I presume, for around a year and a half after she gave up work to raise her kids. Her payments have now stopped and gets nothing from social welfare. I thought this was strange , surely she would be due something. Her boyfriend supports her and there two kids.

Is this right?

thanks.

My sister is co habiting with her partner and has two small children. She received a payment, the dole I presume
You'd need to find out specifically what payment(s) she was getting.
for around a year and a half after she gave up work to raise her kids.
If she gave up work to look after the kids then she should probably not have been claiming Unemployment/Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance (i.e. if she was not genuinely available for and seeking work).
Her payments have now stopped and gets nothing from social welfare. I thought this was strange , surely she would be due something.
Er - why!?! Especially when...
Her boyfriend supports her and there two kids.
:confused:

hmm, I do not know much, must talk to her.
Maybe it was maternity benefit that she got...............guessing now............sorry.

Maternity Benefit is only paid for a maximum of c. 26 weeks so she could not have been getting that for a year and a half. She should be getting Child Benefit and Early Childcare Supplement (for any kids under 6). If the household income is low then they might be entitled to Family Income Supplement. See here for more on family related payments. Her partner should make sure that he is claiming all tax credits/allowances to which he is entitled (see the Taxation forum key posts).

Sounds like she may have been getting jobseekers benefit. If she was working full time before the kids and had her PRSI paid up then she would have been entitled to sign on (after 9 weeks cos she voluntarily left her job) for about 15 mths (I think) while she was "actively seeking work". But she wouldn't get that indefinitely.
As clubman said, why would she be getting benefits when she is supported by her partner, if that was the case then every stay at home mother with a husband/partner working would be getting something which we all know doesn't happen.

Back