dublin restaurants with good vegetarian choice

elizabeth

Have some vegetarian friends visiting. Anybody know of a fairly upmarket restaurant that offers both vegetarian and non vegetarian options? (Have tried many Indian restaurants so maybe something different?).

What about 'Wagamama', whilst not particularly upmarket, it offers delicious vegetarian alternatives and a relaxed, informal atmosphere. As a veggie for the last 16 years, I can highly recommend! And Japan at least is diversion from India!!!

Or better yet, hop on the train to Cork and go to Cafe Paradiso, by far the best of them all.......yum!

Last edited:
The Cedar Tree is very good for vegetarians too.

Cornucopia is only open during the day and is more of a quick lunch place than a dinner place.

Quality Dublin restaurants with good veggie options

Ms Caveat is vegetarian and we want to go for a really good meal.

Does anyone know what the vegetarian options are like in the better known quality places? (e.g. Thornton's, L'écrivain etc).

Would prefer if possible not to go to an exclusively veggie place (I'm a bit of a carnivore) but if the likes of the above mentioned only offer token/dull veggie options then we wouldn't bother with them.

Indians always offer good veggie options but want something different if possible...

Re: Quality Dublin restaurants with good veggie options

This thread is also discussing something similiar which may be of interest if the better known quality places don't have good vegetarian options

thanks, yes I actually contributed to the other thread too!

Started this as I specifically wanted an excellent, 'among the best in the country', type place - but there may of course be useful info on the other thread too.

I'm a veggie too & find that most restaurants offer a vegetarain "option" of something crap like stir fried veg. I think the "option" is I eat or don't eat it!!

I eat out a lot for work & find the more expensive the restaurant the less choice for veggies.

My favourites for good veggie menus are The Winding Stair & 101 Talbot.

I recommended it on the other thread too, The Cedar Tree. Great food, great atmosphere and not just "veggie option" on the menu.

I'm a veggie too & find that most restaurants offer a vegetarain "option" of something crap like stir fried veg. I think the "option" is I eat or don't eat it!!

I eat out a lot for work & find the more expensive the restaurant the less choice for veggies.

My favourites for good veggie menus are The Winding Stair & 101 Talbot.

Thanks Batty

Yep. Stir fries are the classic alright. or "vegetable pasta bake" or something. :(

What kind of things could we expect in The Winding Stair & 101 Talbot?

I recommended it on the other thread too, The Cedar Tree. Great food, great atmosphere and not just "veggie option" on the menu.

Thanks Cahir - is this the Leabanese place? if so, I think I know of it.

Do you reckon it's truly special then rather than just 'good'?

Last time I was in The Cedar Tree it was terrible.

Thanks Cahir - is this the Leabanese place? if so, I think I know of it.

Do you reckon it's truly special then rather than just 'good'?

Yep, it's the Lebanese place on Andrew Street. They have another restaurant above it, I think it's called Byblos, it's good too but not as good.

I personally think it's truly special and really good for vegetarians.

Thanks Batty

Yep. Stir fries are the classic alright. or "vegetable pasta bake" or something. :(

MMM vegetable Pasta bake i.e. overcooked vegetables with stodgy pasta!!

What kind of things could we expect in The Winding Stair & 101 Talbot?

Check here;

[broken link removed]
www.101talbot.com

Should give you a flavour - they both also dod a good selection of nightly specials.

I also find many restaurants have fish-conceptions about vegetarians. . No - vegetarians do not eat fish.

I also find many restaurants have fish-conceptions about vegetarians. . No - vegetarians do not eat fish.

:) Ms Caveat
would heartily agree!

Thanks for the info.

i'm fairly certain l'ecrivain have a vegetarian tasting menu though unfortunately i've never been, must rectify that this year. another restaurant with a separate veggie menu is the pearl brasserie which i thought was great.
so for really special l'ecrivain would win out i'd say.
of course if you wanted to make a weekend of it, i'd go to www.cafeparadiso.ie in cork best vegetarian restaurant in the world. you can even stay upstairs too, their breakfasts are sensational.

Is Cornucopia still on the go? - was a very nice veggie place about 10 years ago (Dublin 1 or 2 area somewhere)

Edit: yes, still there: [URL="http://www.cornucopia.ie/"]http://www.cornucopia.ie/[/URL]

I am not a vegetarian, but, can vouch for Cornucopia, as I go there with Ms. Carpedeum regularly. I was there last week during bag carrying duty and was impressed. Can be a bit cramped and you sit next to other diners, but, most people are sound. Good sized and good quality main courses for about €12. Coffee is as good as anywhere else. Soups looked very good. Free filtered water.

"i'm fairly certain l'ecrivain have a vegetarian tasting menu"

I go regularly to L'Ecrivain (for business not personal choice) & I have never seen even a vegetarian option. I have often rung ahead requesting a vegetarian meal & on the day I would be presented with stir fry/pasta 30 minutes LATER than the rest of our party.

Back