Dublin: place to rent. in a good area near the red luas line (st james hospital)

yashik

Hi, we're moving to Dublin in a month's time... and are still looking for a place to rent. in a good area near the red luas line (close to st james hospital). Child-friendly, with shops, park nearby. Any suggestions on which would be a suitable area? Thanks.

whats your budget?

red line doesnt really pass through areas with the best rep to be honest. I live in drimnagh with young family - close to local parks and not far from phonenix and royal hospital kilmainham, could get 3 bed house for 1000 per month, some parts of drimnagh are lovely some not so much but all in all its a grand area.......but not sure what you consider a good area!

Kilmainham is also nice, closer to city centre and St James's

Further out kingswood in tallaght is a fine spot

Is the LUAS an absolute must?

Hi BICIP, thanks for replying!

Budget is around 1200 max per month. Was looking at Kilmainham, even places near Connolly Luas, or Heuston, etc. Luas isn't essential, but reliable public transport is.

I'll be working at St James Hospital.

We were advised against Drimnagh - apparently lots of gang crime, etc there, and Tallaght - that despite the new developments, it's a rather rundown area.

I don't have a clue about these places - just what I've been reading on various sites online.

A good area would hopefully have a park nearby, close to public transport - not rundown or covered in graffiti, and with low crime. Reasonably quiet.
Without much traffic going through. a plus would be a great pizzeria nearby.

You could consider Terenure, Harold's Cross, Kimmage, Chapelizod all within 40 mins walk or 15 mins on a bike.

There are some bus services eg 19 from Terenure.

It all depends if you have kids in school, what your partner's interests are etc etc

Bow Bridge, in Kilmainham is a good place to rent, with plenty that work in St. Jameses living in apartments in the area.

Thanks for the replies. Saw a few places online on Chapelizod Road - with a few buses that go to Heuston (and walk to St James). Is that a reasonable distance to walk, especially considering it's freezing there now? Also in Kilmainham, off Emmet road. How's the area? Is Drimnagh really cleaned-up nowadays? Many decently-priced houses there, just wasn't sure of the area.

I know alot of people who live in Drimnagh.
Generally there are no problems, but there are a few gangsters living their and if you are living nextdoor it might not be ideal.

Having said that I lived beside notorious gangsters in D8 and never had a problem...in fact they caught a burglar trying to break into my house once...gave him a hiding!!

Emmet rd can be very mixed, near St Michael's estate and there is a very violent family living on Emmet Rd, you would think they wouldn't soil on their own doorstep but they do. Inchicore Road would be better and prettier IMHO.

I'm generally familiar with Chapelizod Rd....it's quite long and very picturesque, near Phoenix Park and the river, probably 40 mins walk to SJH.
Bow Lane would not light my fire and it's kind of dark/lonely to walk at night and I would feel vunerable.

As you can see it is a colourful area.
I lived there for 7 very happy years without any adverse incident (well 1 burglary)

The Tenters (Dublin 8) is another really nice little area within walking distance of St James's with nice old little houses.

Tried to post a few links from daft.ie but the system wouldn't let me.
When I search max €1200 pm in Dublin 8 i got 288 hits.

My favourite was this one
979642 right at the back gate of the hospital

I also like 974975 on Inchicore road...lovely road and the back of these houses are south facing.

Fantastic stuff Mommah!

Thanks!

Yeah, we also liked 974975, especially that it has 3 bedrooms... but the spiral staircase seems a bummer... especially since my son's busy exploring these days...

Been living on daft for almost a month now, trying to find the right place... (and one that will rent to us for when we're getting to Ireland) ... the search continues.

We were advised against Drimnagh - apparently lots of gang crime, etc there, and Tallaght - that despite the new developments, it's a rather rundown area. .

From the country originally. Now live in Drimnagh. It is a brilliant place to live. Most people in my road are elderly or people like me. Never seen or met a drug dealer here. Drimnagh is a brilliant community. Who ever advised against it is completly talking through their hat. Lived here for ten years and I have never seen any trouble.

some good suggestions there....my vote is for drimnagh....all this cr%p about gangs makes for good newspaper stories but is not in fact the case. there are as many gangsters in inchicore kilmainham tenters as there are in drimnagh - all get lumped into some bullsh#t feud story.

it is and always was a nice quiet area and an excellent spot for public transport etc....anyway have a look for yourself...good luck.

Thanks BICIP... I've never been to Ireland.

Moving there from South Africa in a couple of weeks.

All I have to go on is what people like you have advised me. We're actually calling 2 agents regarding places in Drimnagh (based mostly on your advice), and really hope we get it, because it's so close to the Luas, has a good bus service for the places we want to go to, etc. And cos they seem damn good value for money.

Who knows... might bump into you soon!

cool best of luck....make sure and have a good look around and make sure its for you! roads that are nice - upper (near cooley) galtymore, cooley, errigal, brandon, comeragh, mangerton - generally speaking the closer to walkinstown end of drimnagh the better (in my opinion - nothing particularly wrong with rest)

PS Walkisntown is also nice, cheap and served by 123 bus which goes thru james hosp every 10 mins or so

Drimnagh is fine and a very good location for the Hospital. Interestingly enough, a doctor friend living in Drimnagh made the move to South Africa to work and similar conversations were had re where should he live there!

I have experience of the area you'll be working in. Even if it meant an extra 30 minutes travel I wouldn't live anywhere around there. Decent areas on the redline luas are ruined for me by the drunks, addicts and antisocial behaviour you encounter on the red luas. Unpopular thing to say, but I did it every day for years and hated it.

It depends on how you define a good area? What's the longest commute to work you'd be willing to put up with? For the sake of an extra 20/30 mins in the morning I'd be more inclined to rent on the greenline and walk over to the red luas or a bus to take you up the quay. Castleknock could be an option either - you could cycle during the day through the phoinex park. I'd also look at areas on the train to Heuston over the redline luas.

If a nice place for your family to live is a higher priority than a short trip into work I would widen your search a bit.

Deas... interesting... yeah, lots of folks moving outta Ireland at the moment... we seem crazy to everyone, for moving there! still, i love the cold and rain!

Pebbledash. Yep red line is full of scumbags from evening onwards. Personally we take bus everywhere never any issues. Never had problem on luas either has to be said but there are plenty of drunks and junkies on it.
Castleknock is v nice but pricey and not accessible to James hospital - by public transport that is. Somewhere accessible by train is not bad suggestion - depends on how long commute u want and where u want to be near.

Thanks again BICIP...

yeah, for now - being near to work and with easy access to public transport is a priority.

When we're buying, then definitely out of the city!

how do the drunks and junkies afford the Luas? or r they riding for free? (anyways, that's an aside)

985201 on daft.ie is on Mountshannon Road across the road from the hospital
see link

Back