Dublin Council Rates

Trine

I'm finding it difficult to estimate even a rough value for council rates on a property I'm looking at to rent. The dublincity.ie site hasn't been much use to me.

Could somebody explain how they're calculated? I understand that a property is given a value and multiplied by 62.63, but is the value given to the property based on rent? Location? Type of usage? A combination of all these things?

If a property advertises its rent as "x00 Euro + rates", does that mean the rate is fixed regardless of what you use the property for? If there is no mention by the landlord of "rates" does that mean the building is exempt of council rates?

I completely overlooked council rates in planning to set up my business, stupid of me and very frustrating. Pretty much have the loan secured, have a great deal on equipment, a great deal on the construction...but don't think it's viable any more judging by the kind of money I'd have to pay every year, as I expected it to be tough for the first 2 or 3 years without this extra cost. Having to pay potentially a couple of grand every year just makes it impossible to get going.

hi trine before you sign any lease agreement check to see if the unit has any outstanding rates owed by previous tenents if it does you will be responsible
for them once you own the lease on the unit .make it a clause of the lease that the landlord has to settle them or give you credit for it you can find out if anything is due by calling into your local council office they should give you a printout of anything owed and be able to advise you on the yearly rates due on the unit

Ring up the rates office, with the correct/full address. They will be able to tell you how much the rates will be and if they are up to date.

hi, im in a similar situation with a unit. Their ARE rates owed and it totals over €10k. The auctioneer "failed" to tell us this when we enquired about the unit. The landlords solicitor has agreed to hold the money in Trust until the rates issue is resolved.

He mentioned that the money would be held for 6 months. if the rates are not paid within 6 months then the money held in trust would be paid to the council.

Can i trust that the rates issue will be paid and is this a normal procedure when rates are owed?

Back