Dublin City Council Libraries online services

ClubMan

I just started using the http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/libraries/Pages/DublinCityLibrary.aspx (Dublin City Councillibraries) again after a hiatus of a few years and I have to say that the online and catalogue services are great. You can search the for items and then choose items to be reserved for collection (having been transferred from other branches where necessary) at your local branch online and then they give you a call when they arrive and you have a few days to pick them up. The charge for this service is €0.50 per item. You can also do renewals online which is handy if you cannot drop borrowed items back on time. To use the service you just your library card number and a PIN which they will issue you with on request (and which you can change once you login). Thumbs up from me for this service. I'm not sure if other local authority library services offer something similar?

Brilliant, thanks for that. I recently rediscovered our library as well but I had no idea you could order online.

The library council implemented a new policy and this included providing increased access to services. The internet was an obvious solution. Not all library services will charge fees but it is understandable for such a large area like dublin to have some fees. You will also notice that a lot of libraries have increased opening hours. It is also worth noting that the numbers of qualified/experienced staff in the library service have been increased dramatically. Other services that are available in many libraries include access to Irish times archive and OSI ancient maps on computers in libraries. Others offer books and newspapers in eastern european languages etc. Its worth visiting your local library to check out the improved services!

(spot the librarian :D)

€0.50 for a transfer/reservation with notification is pretty reasonable in my opinion. The range of services provided by many library branches (I normally frequent the ILAC/Central and Cabra libraries) is impressive alright. Oh - and free Wifi if you're ever stuck and have your own laptop/wireless device. :)

Absolutely it is reasonable, cheap in fact for the service offered. I bet people still complain about it though! Many librarires are open monday - saturday and people still complain they don't open on sundays.

Plenty of public servants work Sunday - emergency service and hospital staff for example.

Its worth visiting your local library to check out the improved services!

(spot the librarian :D)

I agree - the upgraded library in Tallaght is fantastic - you can even check out books yourself now. Everything is scanned!!!
I also agree with Clubman that the fees charged are very reasonable especially for the service received

Back