Dublin Airport -- Sent Home Without Pay

bighig250

Folks

I work for a large chain of stores in Dublin Airport and as of this morning we were sent home indefinitely as all our shops are closed due to the situation with the volcanic ash & the closure of virtually all Irish air space.

Anyway we were informed that any days we were not working due to these circumstances, we will not be paid. Is this possible as I'm available for work and cant understand why I am not being paid due to an "Act of God"!!

Would appreciate some help with this and guidance as to what options are open to me as I really cant afford to be going without a weeks wages.

Regards
Stephen

I don't know about the legality of this, but I would imagine you would be entitled to claim social welfare for the days you are not being paid.

What does your contract of employment say? Why not contact NERA?

[broken link removed]

Thanks lads

I have tried social welfare & they basically said that you are only entitled to some sort of payment if the lay off is for four or more days.

Nothing much in the contract which basically states that "The company reserves the right to change your normal weekly working time in order to meet the needs of the business. All changes to working time will be in full consultation with you in good time prior to the change".

Will definitely check out the NERA link tomrrow if this is going to be ongoing.

Back