Driving 'to' work or driving 'for' work.

emeralds

Am shopping around for renewals and during a phone call yesterday I was asked if I drive for work. I replied that I didn't but that on occasion I drive to work, park for the day and drive home. I was then told that I need to specify that on the application - that the normal phrase 'social, domestic and pleasure' does not cover driving to and from a place of employment. Has this always been the situation or is there a misunderstanding? Obviously driving for work is different and I understand that would need to be declared.

Some (most?) insurers don't distinguish between "social, domestic, pleasure" and "social, domestic, pleasure and commuting". For example:

My own current insurer, Aviva, seems to be the same.

Last edited:
Am shopping around for renewals and during a phone call yesterday I was asked if I drive for work. I replied that I didn't but that on occasion I drive to work, park for the day and drive home. I was then told that I need to specify that on the application - that the normal phrase 'social, domestic and pleasure' does not cover driving to and from a place of employment. Has this always been the situation or is there a misunderstanding? Obviously driving for work is different and I understand that would need to be declared.
If you are being paid while in your car you are driving for work.

If you are driving to work and not getting paid while in your car then it is covered under social, domestic and pleasure.

Has this always been the situation or is there a misunderstanding?
It depends on the insurer. Some factor it into their risk. It's similar to asking how many kilometers per year you drive; not all insurers ask before calculating your premium but some do.

Yet another smack in the kisser for private motorists. My personal motor policies never mentioned this new category of "commuting" as a lot of my driving included driving to and from my fixed place of work.

Where I had a job that needed me to use my private car to drive to/from off-site meetings or client sites, I declared that on my insurance, paid the additional premium, indemnified my employers, and claimed appropriate Revenue-approved mileage allowances from work.

Where I had company cars I paid the additional BIK tax, and where I used my car for business mileage, I claimed the (much-reduced, but Revenue-approved) mileage allowance. The deals I was used to were to pick a car from a list, collect a pre-paid fuel-card (varying amounts) and book the car in for services/tyres etc with the leasing company. An allowance towards fuel, full insurance, tax and servicing were all part of the deals.

"Someone" needs to deliver a swift kick up the transom to the insurance companies. I'll soon be paying an extra premium for slavering after a new Ferrari.

If you're on a weekly wage, you can expect to get paid for days off. But you couldn't possibly be claimed to be driving for work on any of those days.
If you receive a weekly wage it normally states the hrs of work and the location of your work. If you are travelling outside of your contracted hours of work then you are not using a vehicle for work ie you are using it for social, domestic or pleasure purposes.

If you receive a weekly wage it normally states the hrs of work and the location of your work. If you are travelling outside of your contracted hours of work then you are not using a vehicle for work ie you are using it for social, domestic or pleasure purposes.
Yes, but if you nip off an hour early to attend to a personal errand, you will most definitely be travelling within your contracted hours of work. It would make no sense for that to be treated as anything other than social, domestic or pleasure purposes.

Yet another smack in the kisser for private motorists. My personal motor policies never mentioned this new category of "commuting" as a lot of my driving included driving to and from my fixed place of work.
Who said that this is some new category?
As far as I can see most insurers continue to categorise use as either social/domestic/pleasure (including commuting) or business and this hasn't changed in most or all cases.

I suspect that people are overthinking this and it's normally perfectly obvious whether or not use is "business" or that a particular insurer uses three categories - social/domestic/pleasure, ditto plus commuting, and business - instead of what seems to be the usual two.

I pay a small additional premium as I occasionally have to drive to meetings or customer sites in my own car. I think it's around €60 a year.

Who said that this is some new category?
OP's Insurers, and I quote "the normal phrase 'social, domestic and pleasure' does not cover driving to and from a place of employment."

Am I the only poster who can read? A lot of drivers invest in cars in order to commute to and from a place of employment.

Last edited:
Get a quote to include traveling to and from work and one without traveling to and from work. You might find that the quotes are the same. I have found that if I get a quote and there is a question for instance " do you travel more than 8000 Kms per year ?" that the quote will be the same if I answer yes or no. If a person answers no to this question and then subsequently contacts the insurance company to increase their yearly mileage to a higher figure they will often be then charged a higher premium. This is trickery by the insurance companies. If possible get online quotes and input different data each time to see what insurance features actually result in a higher premium.

OP's Insurers, and I quote "the normal phrase 'social, domestic and pleasure' does not cover driving to and from a place of employment."

Am I the only poster who can read? A lot of drivers invest in cars in order to commute to and from a place of employment.
Now I'm wondering

1. What does domestic mean? Grocery shopping.

2. What's the difference between social and pleasure? I like grocery shopping, so is that pleasure.

I'm covered to travel between sites, so not an issue for me. But it seems to be just nit pickery at its finest.

Back