driving test tomorrow-any tips?

Re: driving test tomorrow-any tips??

SteelBlue05 said:
Also, keep to the the speed limits strictly.
I disagree. I failed on my first 2 attempts many moons ago having been paranoid about keeping below 30 mph. When I finally got a good instructor, he advised not to be paranoid about slipping over the limit where road conditions allowed. I passed using this approach.

RainyDay said:
I disagree. I failed on my first 2 attempts many moons ago having been paranoid about keeping below 30 mph. When I finally got a good instructor, he advised not to be paranoid about slipping over the limit where road conditions allowed. I passed using this approach.

Were you driving very slow or something, 15mph?

If you keep it at 30 or slighly below I cant believe you would fail on that. Is that the reason they give to you for failing the first time?

SteelBlue05 said:
Were you driving very slow or something, 15mph?

If you keep it at 30 or slighly below I cant believe you would fail on that. Is that the reason they give to you for failing the first time?

It wasn't so much that they failed me on that - It was the effort of sticking rigidly to the limit meant that I really wasn't relaxed and wasn't concentrating on the more important things.

My driving test was cancelled due to the bad weather conditions. Thank God for snow :) This gives me an opportunity to get some lessons in (and tax my car)... Incidentally I double checked with the driving test centre in Mayo and you DO NOT have to have valid tax cert. You are supposed to, but they won't/can't refuse to test you if you don't. Aparently its not their job to 'police' for tax certs. Obviously you do need to have valid insurance/Nct/Licence.

evanne said:
Aparently its not their job to 'police' for tax certs. Obviously you do need to have valid insurance/Nct/Licence.

It might not be their job but showing up in an untaxed car is showing complete disregard for the laws on motoring, maybe they are not doing anything about it but in my opinion you should be failed for that.

By the way have the rules on handbrake use changed? I was taught "handbrake on, into neutral" on every stop but daughter now taking lessons tells me thats out of fashion, only on parking or on hills according to her instructor?

I emailed the driving test centre when I did my test (about three years ago) to ask about this. I'll see if I can find the reply I received and post it here. Basically I was told that you don't always have to apply the handbrake and go into neutral but it's a judgement call depending on traffic conditions, length of time you expect to be stopped for etc.

Hi,

I have my test the 20th this month and wondered anybody do the Newbridge Co.Kildare route recently...
I'm driving 7 months now and no problems as off yet...
I have 5 pre-tests coming up including one on the morning off my test.
I'm very familiar with Newbridge but hill starts and reversing around a corner I'd say will be a bit off a nussance for me
anybody give me any advise on that??

thanks

Are you doing it with SGS?

If you are you can end up doing it in either Naas or Newbridge.

I did mine with them today in Newbridge, had a pretest today and one last Saturday and it went fine.

Practice the hill starts and reversing it will pay off.

Back