Driving Test does anyone have any useful tips?

Kelb28

Hi

I have my driving test next friday, does anyone have any usefull tips! Starting to get little nervous :eek:

Re: Driving Test

insure you have valid tax, insurance, and nct if needed. also make sure all bulbs in the car are working and that you know the various water, oill etc under the bonnet.

if you make a mistake don't worry, unless its very serious like breaking a red light or a stop sign it won't fail you right away, just try to relax and drive your best.

Hi Kelb28,

I passed my test a couple of weeks ago so I still have a lot of tips I got fresh in my head. The following website I found useful: [broken link removed] (I know it's a uk site but it's still valid for most things bar speed limits etc).

The best tips I got from instructors and friends etc were:
  • Drive smoothly - imagine there's someone with a cup tea in the passenger seat and that you don't want them to spill it.
  • Look ahead - it is easy to focus on objects near you, but focussing on part of road you are aiming for 15-20 metres ahead will automatically improve your road position and help with anticipation of obstacles. Try not to focus on objects just the road.
  • Don't rush maneuvers - If you have to abandon a reverse around a corner or a hill start due to an unforeseen obstacle , don't panic, go back to your original start position and do it again when the obstacle has cleared. (Remember you should wait if you see an obstacle before you start the maneuver)
  • The turn-about is not a 3 point turn - you can do it in as many points as you wish as long as you are not causing an obstruction or excessively slow in completing the maneuver.
  • Do not overtake - only overtake if you are passing a stationary obstable e.g. a bin lorry etc. The tests are generally done in residential areas of slow moving traffic and there will be many learner drivers around. Show your patience and be respectful of other learners.
  • Be familiar with the test route - you should drive the route to ensure you know the area and if there are any unusual junctions or road markings etc.
  • Arrive at the test centre in plenty of time - but don't hang around nervously, take a short walk to calm the nerves if necessary... It's only a test but it can be quite worrying.
Also, when going into the test centre you should bring your licence and the letter you got for the test.

Hope this helps... it certainly helped me.

Stef

make sure you have red L-plates with at least a 2 centimetre white margin.

check the reg on your tax disk.....happened to me the instructor noticed it the end part of the reg was ok but the year was wrong, he said I can fail you right now for that, he hadn't even got in the car at this stage but fair play to him he took me out and I passed.

Arrive at the test centre in plenty of time - but don't hang around nervously, take a short walk to calm the nerves if necessary... It's only a test but it can be quite worrying.

that is the most important tip, if your late you might as well not turn up at all, the instructor is doing a number of tests in the day and wants to keep to a schedule.....

Park somewhere outside the test centre that you can manoeuvre out of easily!

Someone also once told me that when checking mirrors during the test that you do so by actually moving your head slightly to demonstrate what you are doing rather than just moving eyes i.e. slightly exaggerated moves!

Good luck. Let us know how you get on!

Hi

I have my driving test next friday, does anyone have any usefull tips! Starting to get little nervous :eek:

Hi There,
If you have time get three lessons on the test route. Use your mirrors-I was told that when your tester asks you to take a turn, etc, look in the appropriate mirror to show that you are acting on his instructions. Learn your hand signals. NB do not panic if you make a mistake, forget about it and get on with the test, you are allowed a few minor errors. I cut out even before I left the test centre, not a great start but I still passed
I lost marks on, not slowing down sufficiently when going past road works.
Good luck!

Re: Driving Test does anyone have any usefull tips?

A couple of tips:

During the theory section at the beginning of the test, one question that is almost always asked is

What does an amber light mean? Answer is simply that you stop the car unless it is not safe to do so; do not say that you keep going if way is clear (a lot of people do give somthing along the lines of this answer)

The other tip I can give you is when the examiner asks you to do something, look into the mirror.

Hi,

Some good advice, however

[*]Do not overtake -

You must overtake, if safe and legal to do so. All the other advice fine. But you must maintain progress.

Regarding exaggerating your movements when checking mirrors. This is unnecessary.

Several reasons:

He might mark you for not having the mirrors correctly set.
If you exaggerate, it is very obvious if you forget to check.
And the way some people do it, can be annoying.
You are overstating with your movements, "Look you Blind B ---, I have to do it this way otherwise you would not see me checking.

Relax, try and act normal and natural.

And take a few lessons

Thanks everyone for the usefull tips... i took one lesson and have another 2m and hopefully one during the week. unfortunately last week the routes for the new centre had not been finalised, my instructor was going to try get them this week, so hopefully he'll have them tomorrow. its in citywest so if anyone know the route let me know please.

reversing around the corner is a bit tricky, but hopefully i'll get there with practice :) any tips for this?

Reversing round the corner - practice, practice, practice!

Ensure your wing mirror is angled correctly for this and that you can see kerb edge. The key is knowing when to turn the car so that you don't hit the kerb but don't swing out wide. I recommend that when you know the route you spend a few hours driving it alone and practicing the various manoeuvres where you could be asked to perform them (just be sure to stay out of the way of someone in the middle of their test).

Best of luck!

Hi,
Before driving off from a stationary position you should glance over your shoulder (as well as look in your side mirror) just incase there is a car in your blind spot.
I absolutely agree with previous post: do not over do the head movements when it comes to looking in the mirror! Forget dangley ear-rings etc.

I was completely crap at the reversing around the corner, but I did a grand hill start and 3-point turn. I think over all he passed me as I could manage 2 out of the three. So do not stress too much about reversing a round the corner. It needs a good bit of Pratice

Has anyone bought the dvd advertised on tv for sale in extra vision???
The better half has his test next week, wondering if it is worth purchasing???

just passed mine on friday, i had failed once previously!

my main tips would be to take a 'kalm's tablet before your test as it helps you focus..

what i had failed on previously was not keeping enough distance between the car and parked cars at the side of the road, apparently you should keep a car doors distance away.

i found http://www.drivingschoolireland.com a great resource for any queries. The best advice i got was to drive normally and not get worked up about it as the worst that can happen is you fail and retake the test a few weeks later!

I think observation is seen as important. look at mirror don't just glance, move the head!

just passed mine on friday, i had failed once previously!

my main tips would be to take a 'kalm's tablet before your test as it helps you focus..

what i had failed on previously was not keeping enough distance between the car and parked cars at the side of the road, apparently you should keep a car doors distance away.

i found http://www.drivingschoolireland.com a great resource for any queries. The best advice i got was to drive normally and not get worked up about it as the worst that can happen is you fail and retake the test a few weeks later!

I haad heard this too - that if one failed it was possible to sit the test again soon. i failed mine in April - and reapplied immediately - still no word from them!!

If you send in a letter from work saying you need the car as part of your job then they speed the process up a bit!

Then its seven months instead of 12!!

Back