Driving On Expired Licence

Magicpony

I was stopped by the Gardai and fined on the spot for not wearing my seatbelt and awarded the penalty point.
However, I did not have my licence on me to produce to him, so he said I can expect a summons and must produce it within 10 days at my local station.
I have since found my licence and discovered it is out of date, by 6 months and in my maiden name, with my old address on it.
Should I produce my old licence when applying for a new one?
What can I expect with regard to further penaltly points for this oversight? Any advice?

Actually you can get your license within about 2 working days from when you actually submit it so if I was you I would fill in the form and bring in personally to county council and you should get it within the required time. You dont get the old one back so I doubt the guard in the office would even notice as long as its current.

Thanks for that - but, should I produce it when applying for new licence in motor tax office?

I saw a Cops show on BBC last night where a lady in the UK had her car confiscated and crushed for driving on an expired provisional licence.

Does anyone know how many penalty points you get for not having your driving licence on you when stopped?

All penalty point offences are listed here:
[broken link removed]

Not having a valid licence isn't one of them. According to this article there is a fine of €80 for not having a valid licence
[broken link removed]

You don't get penalty points for not producing your license. It is not a fixed charge penalty point. However, you will receive a summons to appear in court for the offence and will be dealt with from there.

Just get your new licence and present this. You have really 28 days, not 10 to produce it before the cop transfers it to court proceedings - or so my brother (a cop) told me when I had to present mine a while back.

You have been warned at the roadside you will prosecuted, so i don't think you will get away with it.

Back