driving in portugal

Sarah

Hi All,

Have planned a holiday to Albuferia at the end of june /start of july for 6 days...there will be 4 adults and 1 infant (1 year old). We were planning to hire out a car only problem is that i have heard driving in portugal is extremely dangerous and stressful. I have been driving about 5 years with a full licence but have never drove anywhere else in europe. Can anyone share their experiances about driving there such as parking, narrow streets, road rules (local road rules!:)) and is it a good idea to hire a sat nav? Also if anyone can recommend a car hire place that has good prices , that would also be very useful. We would need a car that can fit 4 adults and a car seat for the child and a boot size for about 4 medium suitcases.
Thanks so much

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Quick answers to all yours questions:

... that i have heard driving in portugal is extremely dangerous ...
R: driving in the centre (Lisbon) and north of Portugal is much more dangerous comparing it to the Algarve. I think driving around Albufeira you'll be completely safe. No worries.

...Can anyone share their experiences about driving there such as parking, narrow streets, road rules (local road rules!:))...
R: its true that in Albufeira and rest of the Algarve there are a few narrow roads. With a 5 year driving experience you'll be OK :D

...and is it a good idea to hire a sat nav?...
sat nav is always an advantage everywhere. That would depends on your sense of orientation I think.

...Also if anyone can recommend a car hire place that has good prices...
I would recommend you to pre-book a car online. I have been using these Algarve car hire company for years - airautocarhire.com - they are not resellers and you'll have a car ready to go on arrival, straight from Faro Airport. Pay on arrival is you wish.

Hope that my answers helped you.

Hi Sarah,
I would broadly agree with most of what Mr73 above has said. I don't know anything about the company he recommends, though, and it is his first post.
I also think that with 5 years experience you should be fine. Try the big companies as well as online ones such as Holidayautos.

Hi Sarah,

I would fully recommend hiring a car in portugal. We did it last year in the Algarve and it was the best thing we did. Dont let the stories put you off it will be fine and the best thing about it all is the independence going where ever you wish. Be mindful of the obvious like driving on the opposite side of the road and of course the roundabouts (opposite direction to IRL) but you will get the hang of it real quick.
There's plenty of car hire places to choose from, so shop around and get the best value that suits you.
enjoy!

Back