Driving in Canada

G

George1

Hi,
Planning on going to Canada (Vancouver, Whistler, Banff etc)for 2 weeks in september.

We are going to hire a car and just wondered has anyone out there done this and if so how they found driving in this part of Canada. Also any other places/ excursions in this region that you might recommend.

Thanks
G1

We flew to Seattle before and drove up to Vancouver, Kelowna (Okanagon Valley - Wine region, yes it's true), Banff (Lake Louise etc) back down through the rockies to Nelson and back into Washington state. We didn't drive the sea to sky road (to Whistler) but you are in for a certain treat. Roads are spot on, you'll be on the Trans Canadian Highway (route 1) for some of it no doubt which is as good as the highways in the USA, Sept is a great time to go you'll have no prob with driving conditions etc.

You have to canoe on Lake Louise or Moraine Lake (which was actually quieter when we were there and were sorry we didn't go on the lake here instead !) Stay in Banff it's a nice town, nice restaurants etc. You can drive the Bowvalley parkway (route 1a) from lake Louise to Banff (which is nicer than staying on the TCH (route 1).

Sure PM me if you want anymore specifics. you are in for a great trip though, fantastic area.

We spent three weeks in Canada in February this year. Hired a car at Calgary airport and drove to Banff, Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, then on to Kelowna and Big White. We then headed across to Vancouver and up to Whistler.

The roads were perfect. Like the other poster said, we were on TC1 and it was great. Some high passes through the mountains with stunning views.

You should be warned about the price of car hire, though. We were fleeced! We went with Alamo and hired a bit SUV yoke. Cost us a fortune. We needed it as we had all our boarding gear, but it was the most expensive part of the holiday. And most cars over there seem to be petrol and our car was a thirsty beast!

But it was the best holiday of my life. You'll have a blast! PM me if you want any further info.

Driving in Canada is great. I have done Vancouver to Calgary via Whistler twice. The roads are brilliant to drive. Just be aware that when you enter into the National Parks that you have to pay a fee for every night that your there, so if your spending 2 nights in Banff and 2 nights in Jasper you have to pay for 4 nights.

If you have any other queries let me know, i wont go into the whole trip as the other posters have covered a lot.

We have stayed in a number of hotels pretty much all of which I would recommend if you want details just ask.

We also hired a car, and economy the first time and SUV the second. We used Alamo and had it all booked and paid for through Trailfinders here, and we found the price ok. Its very handy that you can hire a car in vancouver and then just drop it off in calgary no one way drop off charge like some countries.

just back from similiar trip - hired SUV Cherolet Uplander from Hertz for 11 days for 540 euro. Fairly low on petrol costs we thought. Roads are perfect. Incidently, we entered National Park from Banff side and paid a set rate, they never asked how many days we were staying. Enjoy it all.

Hi, Thanks everyone for your replies and helpful information.

Regards
G1

Hired a car in Banff last July and drove north to Jasper, on to Clearwater, Whistler, on to Tofino on Vancouver island, then on to Victoria, returned car in Victoria and took bus and ferry to Vancouver.Banff to Jasper wonderful drive.Drive to Whistler from Jasper very long.Found it much cheaper to book car with Avis Ireland before departing.We stopped and stayed 2 nights Banff ,at Lake Louise for 1 night,1 night at Columbia Icefields,2 nights Jasper, 2 nights Clearwater, 2 nights Whistler,2 nights Tofino, 2 nights Victoria and 2 nights Vancouver.

Back