Drawing down an income from UCITS tax-efficiently

settlement

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone here idi living off their investments but what eoukd be ab optimal way from a tax perspective of drawing down?

Eg if i have 200k un UCITS ETFs, should I be selling at least €1,270 worth every year? Even if I don't need the money now, the idea being to maximise tax efficiency?

UCITS aren't taxed as capital gains, so you can't use the €1,270 CGT exemption on them.

dub_nerd is right; UCITS are dreadful for someone who’s looking to derive an income or drawdown gains efficiently. The 20% rate band doesn’t get utilised as everything’s taxed at 41%, and the €1,270 exemption or capital losses don’t come into play:

The withdrawal of 'income' from unit-linked (life company) funds is predominantly a return of capital in the early years.This may be a tax angle worth looking at. Appreciate that Exit Tax is out of line with CGT and not that much lower than marginal rate of IT. In a world where the return juice has been completely squeezed by QE to the benefit of current investors I cannot see growth (and hence CGT) being a big issue over the next few years.

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone here idi living off their investments but what eoukd be ab optimal way from a tax perspective of drawing down?

Eg if i have 200k un UCITS ETFs, should I be selling at least €1,270 worth every year?
good

Last edited:
Back