Drains and householders/ council’s responsibilities

penang

Hi

Does anyone know the actual situation regarding responsibility for sewage drains? I may need to repair the sewer from my house to the mains and the council ( SDCOCO) tell me that I am responsible for the work right up to the mains. The contractor tells me that the council are responsible from the boundary wall to the mains.

Anyone know for certain what the situation is or where I could start looking for advice?
Many Thanks

P

My parents Live at the end house in an estate and the sewer is on their property and contains all the other houses on that block drainage(lovely). If the sewer is on your property then you are responsible for it and its upkeep anywhere outside fence or walled areas that where in place when you moved in are the councils responsibility to my knowledge.

Thanks Sarah

Thats exactly the same situation as I'm in. However SDCOCO say that they have no responsibility for the pipe at all and that I must maintain it up to the connection to the mains...

What I need is a pointer to a by-law or other law that states what the council's responsibilities are....
P

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I have just been on this very expensive rollercoaster and I can tell you what I have learned. Similar situation, end house with sewer and surface water drain in my back garden serving mine and 8 other houses. Rang the council when it started to overfill and was told by some dope that I would have to get the plumber myself. Did so, cost me E306 and drain still wasn't fully freed. He felt the block was outside my wall on way to main drain and I should call SDCOCO.Plumbers not allowed touch council drains. Did so, and was told off by a very nice man who said I should have called SDCOCO first as they will free the drain, be it in my garden, neighbours garden or council property for the fee of E120 and will work for as long as it takes for this fee. The fee must be divided between the 8 households and they can be prosecuted by Environmental Health if they don't contribute. They came out and found they also had difficulty getting a good flow, they didn't charge me anything yet as they are going to come back soon (I hope) and have another go. The man you need to phone is Sean Jones tel: 4570784/5/6. He told me sometimes people in the council do not give out correct info about this problem (Reassuring isn't it?)

Ophelia

You have my sympathies, looks like we have been down the exact same road on this one. You make an interesting point about prosecuting the neighbours if they don’t pay their share of the clearing / repairs of the drain. Did the council tell you that?

My position is: It looks like I will have to replace the communal drain that runs from my back yard to the mains. If I don’t, I will spend the rest of my days rodding out other people’s sewage – not my idea of fun. So far I’ve been lucky as regards costs because I’m not actually afraid to go at it myself (spent some time working in Lagos, at least the sewage here is in pipes!) but would like a permanent solution. SDCOCO say the won’t help at all and that I need to apply for a licence to dig up the road etc. Contractor says SDCOCO responsible from boundary wall to mains. I’m just confused.

I know Sean well. We’re almost drinking buddies at this stage.

Had similar problem.
Persistently blocking sewer.
SDCC eventually dug up and replaced pipe for about Eur600-Eur700.
Fine so far.
Friend told me that it may not have been built to the proper standard initially, thus causing frequent problems - pipe not right diameter etc.
Since this is supposed to be passed by the council on completion, have they not a responsibility?
The R word is alien to most of our Public Services (should that be Pubic services?) so introduce the word gently to them with a dictionary at hand and maybe a stiff drink.
Would be interested to hear from someone in the know.

Penang, Yes, the Council told me that the neighbours could be prosecuted if they failed to contribute. Why are you going to do the job of the SDCOCO by replacing the faulty pipe? Have you talked to Sean Jones? I hope he wasn't pulling my leg when he said the council would look after the situation, I'm definately going to call him tomorrow and get this thing sorted.

It was Sean who told me that SDCOCO would not help. let me know how you get on. If he tells you a different story I will call him again.

P

Back