Dozens sympathise with sex offender

Status
Not open for further replies.

wavejumper

"Dozens of people queued inside a Co Kerry courthouse yesterday to shake hands and sympathise with a man who was jailed for five years for sexually assaulting a woman in Listowel."

[broken link removed]

Shocking stuff.

I wanted to post this but didn't know how to word it.

Parish priest was among them and was interviewed on NewsTalk this morning where he refered to.."the alleged assault" and stated it was a "miscarrige of justice"

Its disguesting stuff and proof that as a nation we haven't moved forward. at all.

Well done to the lady involved for going ahead with it, real courage shown on her part.

Yeah amazing how we all rush forward to condemn the Church for their attitudes to child abuse and yet we see here how attitudes of normal people to sex crimes is still stuck in the dark ages as well.

The 50 people involved should be named and shamed since the victim seems to have suffered the same fate. It was disgusting.

Unbelievable.
Foley, who had been celebrating his 34th birthday on the night of the offence, had denied the charge. He told gardaí he had “found your wan” after he had gone to relieve himself near a skip at 3.50am. However CCTV footage showed him carrying her to the skip area. It also emerged he had met her earlier in a nightclub.

just because the woman was an adult doesn't make a lesser value victim than the kids, i found the attitude of those guys absolutely disgusting, not only the parish priest but also others - they surely have mothers, wives, daughters - would they embrace a guy who assaulted them as well? just because he's a good mate and great to watch rugby and drink beer with doesn't make him a nice person ...

Yeah amazing how we all rush forward to condemn the Church for their attitudes to child abuse and yet we see here how attitudes of normal people to sex crimes is still stuck in the dark ages as well.

The 50 people involved should be named and shamed since the victim seems to have suffered the same fate. It was disgusting.

Why were they allowed to come into contact with a prisoner in a court of law ???

Who was in charge and allowed it to happen in the first place.

Few things get under my skin it this country as i expect most of the stuff i see. But this really really has my blood boiling.

Few things get under my skin it this country as i expect most of the stuff i see. But this really really has my blood boiling.

Judging by the public reaction, you are not alone. For me, these people are not much better than Foley himself. As I say, lets see how big these men are when their names and places of work are published. Scumbags.

This happened on the same day that a priest was found guilty of over 70 counts of serious sexual assault on a young boy. The judge deemed it a suitable punishment that he spend 18 months in prison.

What the hell is wrong with us? Why are sex crimes treated as a misdemeanour?
Rape is second only to murder as a crime and in many cases worse than some murders. People found guilty of the rape of a young child should face 15-20 years in prison at the very minimum. The age of the accused should never be use to mitigate the severity of the sentence.

The sentences handed down to child rapists are utterly outrageous as is the general attitude to those who covered up their crimes. I couldn’t give a damn if a bishop resigns or not. I am only interested in knowing when those who covered up and facilitated these child rapists will face trial and how long they will spend in prison. I would suggest that they should serve longer sentences that the actual abusers just as those who facilitate crimes against humanity are more culpable than those who carry out the crimes.

This is what we should be protesting about, this is our national crisis, this is our national shame.

What is wrong with these people?

Apart from being neanderthal and repugnant are they also all either blind or deaf?

Foley, who had been celebrating his 34th birthday on the night of the offence, had denied the charge. He told gardaí he had “found your wan” after he had gone to relieve himself near a skip at 3.50am.

However CCTV footage showed him carrying her to the skip area. It also emerged he had met her earlier in a nightclub.

Judgement passed, the man shown to be a liar as well as an opportunistic thug, and still all this??

It's unbelievable. That poor woman.

This happened on the same day that a priest was found guilty of over 70 counts of serious sexual assault on a young boy. The judge deemed it a suitable punishment that he spend 18 months in prison.

What the hell is wrong with us? Why are sex crimes treated as a misdemeanour?
Rape is second only to murder as a crime and in many cases worse than some murders. People found guilty of the rape of a young child should face 15-20 years in prison at the very minimum. The age of the accused should never be use to mitigate the severity of the sentence.

The sentences handed down to child rapists are utterly outrageous as is the general attitude to those who covered up their crimes. I couldn’t give a damn if a bishop resigns or not. I am only interested in knowing when those who covered up and facilitated these child rapists will face trial and how long they will spend in prison. I would suggest that they should serve longer sentences that the actual abusers just as those who facilitate crimes against humanity are more culpable than those who carry out the crimes.

This is what we should be protesting about, this is our national crisis, this is our national shame.

A BIG +1 to this. We need a minumim sentence without parole of at least 15 years. On top of this I think we need to consider giving these rapists the chop!

We hear stories on the news about the treatment of women in places like Afghanistan and pretent to hold a higher standard here. Obviously not as the community have taken the side of the callous offender.
This woman rightly stood up and gave evidence after an assault. What message does this send to other women?

And what does this say about us as a society? As mentioned earlier, why did the court allow this show of misplaced support happen?

With the way she has been treated by her community i am in awe of her to be honest.

If anyone here knows here in any way at all please pass on my admiration to her, its not much but those 50 who did that are nothing. People care for her and what she has had to go through.

And i am thinking of contacting that priests bishop to regisiter my disgust at his actions and his interview this morning on NewsTalk.

On reading the story in the link posted (and hearing about it on the radio etc..), the sympathisers in question need to be rounded up and educated about the effects of a sex crime, how it affects the victim, the victims family and friends, how the family and friends of the perpetrator are affected - how many lives are affected negatively. I would make this educational process as graphic and hard hitting as possible so that these people understand exactly what they are condoning.

They should definitely be named and shamed. They are as bad as the sexual offender.

On reading the story in the link posted (and hearing about it on the radio etc..), the sympathisers in question need to be rounded up and educated about the effects of a sex crime, how it affects the victim, the victims family and friends, how the family and friends of the perpetrator are affected - how many lives are affected negatively. I would make this educational process as graphic and hard hitting as possible so that these people understand exactly what they are condoning.

They should definitely be named and shamed. They are as bad as the rapist himself.

Sorry, sexual assault and not rape.....don't want AAM done over it !!!

Parish priest was among them and was interviewed on NewsTalk this morning where he refered to.."the alleged assault" and stated it was a "miscarrige of justice"

Heard that interview and the priest came across as a complete idiot.

And i am thinking of contacting that priests bishop to regisiter my disgust at his actions and his interview this morning on NewsTalk.

If you can get the information please PM to me as I would like to do that as well. Disgusted by the whole story, I really am.

Sometimes I'm really ashamed to call myself Irish.......................

Or catholic, within my family we know one of the local priests and he is all that keeps any faith going within. He is a good man and a spiritual man, its the twats like that parish priest take give him and the other good men a bad name and hurts the chruch tell believe in and work so hard for.

Never mind the child abuse, idiots like that priest in Kerry can do worse damage with their mouths.

How many people will attend the church service of the priest from now on I wonder? How many women, how many are married or are daughters of the men who shook the sex offender's hand. Interesting that it was only men that shook his hand.

I must say the judge is to be commended on his comments. He saw straight throw the sex offender and the priest.

Pity the poor woman who was so brave and will have to live in such a town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back