Downgrade from Windows Vista

paddy26

Do you know it is possible to buy a laptop with Windows Vista and then get it downgraded to XP?

Does this mean the same as buying a laptop with XP installed ? If so, I think suppliers do offer this as a paid extra on some lines, e.g. DELL.

I bought a medion in Aldi (love it) with Vista on it. The option is available to downgrade to downgrade to XP but I kept Vista.

The Vista laptops are optimised for dual core-enabled Operating Systems.
Good ones have at 3-4Gb RAM which Vista can use.
The CPUs aren't that fast - 1.6 to 2.4Ghz - so running a single-core-enabled OS like WinXP on something like that makes little sense.
You might still find XP's much faster than Vista on the same machine, because once you tailor XP to make use of as much of the available RAM as possible, it should fly.

FWIW

ONQ.

Ive seen Acer laptops (have acer myself and very pleased) in one of the page adverts I think in the Indo today for around 375€ which has XP as standard, not Vista.
Might be worth a look...

With XP you can do things like copy files etc, and there is no need to worry about virtualstore or UAC.

I bought an ASUS laptop on the internet earlier this year and it included a CD which installed XP (the laptop had Vista installed as standard). Friend bought a Fujitsu Siemens recently in Dunnes Stores and it also had the XP downgrade CD.

if you can wait the new windows7 is standard on machines in october.you cant go from xp to windows7,only vista to windows7. i just love xp.

if you can wait the new windows7 is standard on machines in october.you cant go from xp to windows7,only vista to windows7. i just love xp.

Hopalong,

What does the above mean? That if you have an XP machine you need to re-install all of the data on your machine to have Window 7 on your machine when Windows 7 is out, or that it is not possible to go from XP to Window 7 without buying Vista as well?

Hopalong,

What does the above mean? That if you have an XP machine you need to re-install all of the data on your machine to have Window 7 on your machine when Windows 7 is out, or that it is not possible to go from XP to Window 7 without buying Vista as well?

I was wondering that my self. I would hold off buying a PC (unless you really want XP) until Windows 7 is out to the public at the end of October. We have installed Windows 7 in a couple of PCs which were 3-4 years old, and have been pleasantly surprised with their speed only only has 512meg of ram. Also if you dont turn off the UAC there are less annoying popups.

Windows has a habit of "improving" its OS such that it effectively forces you to upgrade every five years or so if you want to run current apps.

The fact that Microsoft are simply heaping even more bells and whistles on out of date original source code seems to escape people, who then wonder why all their resources are going to feed a RAM hungry GUI and OS.

If only someone made a Linux version of Adobe and AutoCAD...

Hmmm.

ONQ.

Windows 7 is just a way of making money of our people who are bogged down in Vista and are hoping that 7 will solve the problems.

Windows 7 is just a way of making money of our people who are bogged down in Vista and are hoping that 7 will solve the problems.

Thankfully it does. Windows 7 is much better than Vista. I had it for a while on a couple of laptops.

That said once you've installed all the patches and service packs Vista works ok. I still prefer XP to Vista and have gone back to XP on all my machines.

I actually trawled the shops and websites a year or so ago trying to find a decent fast single core running XP - zilch.
I'm still using XP and will continue to do so for a while longer.
My business laptop runs Win2K SP4.
Wait till 7 proves itself.

ONQ.

Back