down draught / cowl solution

looper

hi all,

Went to lit my stove last night all going well until i smoked all of us out of the house. The smoke just filled the room coming out of doors of stove side everywhere. Had to throw the cinders out.
There was no wind at the time, so I persume a down draught caused this or cold air falling.
Would a cowl stop this happening as never had a problem like this before and always had a good draw on the chimney.
Any thoughts or solutions?

There is a very good chimney group near the kinsale roundabout in cork.. if you are in Cork region, they are worth a visit. Every type of cowl and solution once you describe issue to them ( btw. i have no link with them ). I take it the chimney has worked ok up to now

That's mad looper, we had exactly the same problem yesterday. The fire has been lit every day over the Christmas and was never a problem but yesterday the room filled with smoke and as with you there was no wind to mention outside.

Cold air is heavier than hot air and the very cold air in the chimney is keeping the smoke down until you get the fire going. On very cold days you'll have to scrafice a few extra firelighters with very dry kindling to stop this happening.

The extra firelighters is grand as i can see that by heating the air in side the chimney gets the air rising upwards, thus drawing the smoke and heat!!! with it. Problem being you would smoke yourself out of it before you could get the fire going--- a gas blowtorch might work.
Would a cowl prevent the cold air returning back down the chimey once the fire was out?
Anyone a number for company on kinsale roundabout?

Back